Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Jackie DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
arabic arabic! take arabic!!

*goes back into her linguistic hole*

I wanted to take Arabic for the language requirement (I'm tired of French) but I heard it was insanely difficult... and I figured I need to know some Spanish in general, so... I don't know.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
I wanted to take Arabic for the language requirement (I'm tired of French) but I heard it was insanely difficult... and I figured I need to know some Spanish in general, so... I don't know.

it's only "difficult" because it has no historical relation to english and is rigidly guarded by language regulations...but you should take it! branch out from the romance language stranglehold! although i do agree - knowing some spanish IS very useful in the usa, and i personally think it's very important to learn *nod*

that didn't help at all, did it?

Last edited by Dia O'Neil : 08-15-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Meaghan E. Bratichak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
it's only "difficult" because it has no historical relation to english and is rigidly guarded by language regulations...but you should take it! branch out from the romance language stranglehold! although i do agree - knowing some spanish IS very useful in the usa, and i personally think it's very important to learn *nod*

that didn't help at all, did it?

hahaha two of my minors are latin and italian... clearly i am stuck in the strangle
Old 08-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaghan E. Bratichak
hahaha two of my minors are latin and italian... clearly i am stuck in the strangle

'sokay...those are good languages to be strangled by
Old 08-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo

It's only difficult because people look at it and see a bunch of squiggles. However, each letter has its own unique sound, unlike english (the "TH" in the vs. three, which are separate in arabic, and "TIO" vs. "SH" in words like contrucTION and SHUN). Also, the verb "to be" is assumed, and for me, etre was a hard part of learning french. It's not as difficult as everyone says. It's orderly.

And who says you need to know spanish? Don't arabic speaking populations affect the US as much as spanish speaking ones?
Old 08-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
And who says you need to know spanish? Don't arabic speaking populations affect the US as much as spanish speaking ones?

well, actually, not as much arabic IS up and coming and very important, but spanish is encroaching upon english as a second major language in the USA. if you look at the history of language change between the two languages, english has been affected in recent days a LOT more by spanish than by arabic, and vice versa.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Camille Gallo

is a arabic a hard language to learn?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Camille Gallo

i guess that was kind of asnwered above, but it seems really interesting to learn. I'm currently scheudled to take italian, but i dont know about that anymore. So honestly is arabic hard to learn, esp if you have no prior knowledge of it?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Gallo
i guess that was kind of asnwered above, but it seems really interesting to learn. I'm currently scheudled to take italian, but i dont know about that anymore. So honestly is arabic hard to learn, esp if you have no prior knowledge of it?

I think that yes, it is rated among the more difficult languages to learn [this, of course, coming from a native English-speaking standpoint - if you were a native speaker of, say, Hebrew, it might be SLIGHTLY easier]. But any language is hard to learn after about the age of 6.