Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Justin M. Giza
 
Posts: n/a
Default getmeoutofgroupwiseplzkthxbai

I recall someone from CNS telling me that the switch to GroupWise would be mandatory.

Is there any way I could *not* use this janky program? I need a plain old email client that loads in under a minute, not something with a bunch of extra bells and whistles that consistently softlocks my computer and eats more memory every time I send an email. In my opinion, Thunderbird and Mozilla Mail were a lot quicker for my rickety lil' R40, and just much simpler and more convenient. Also, the junk mail filter on GroupWise is pretty horrific. My inbox is barely usable, thanks to the generous plethora of free Viagra invitations I'm getting... the price I pay for having my email address posted on the MadAve site.

I don't doubt that this program has its perks... I'm just failing to see any just yet.

It's pretty. I will give it that.

Just curious if I could go through a POP3 or however it was configured before. I'm not too keen on setting up email.

Thanks.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 08-24-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Kevin P. Egan's Avatar
Kevin P. Egan Kevin P. Egan is offline
Drewid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 249
Default

There are some options available that might help with some of your complaints. I am assuming you're using the program in online mode. If you're off campus and have a slow connection, one option would be to switch it to caching mode. This saves a copy of all your emails and appointments to your harddrive and only goes online to see if there's anything new to add. It doesnt need to go online and download all of your messages everytime you startup the program. Instructions for setting up caching mode can be found at the ITS website.
A word of warning though, since it will have to initially download all of your emails, it is suggested to enable caching mode when you have access to a fast connection (ie on campus), otherwise it may take a while to download everything.

Another option is to use the Groupwise Notify program to alert you when you receive new emails. It runs in the background and checks the server every 10 minutes looking for changes. When you recieve new mail, it will pop up a little notification informing you of the new mail and will allow you to open up groupwise to read it. Since you enter in your password when you startup notify, it doesnt take as long to load groupwise to read the mail. This is what I personally use when I am off campus, I am instantly notified of new mail and appointments without having to leave groupwise running. With the latest service pack update, it can be located in the start menu under novell (I think that's where it is, I am at work now and not positive).

As for the SPAM situation, I must ask of you have enabled the Drew Spam Filter. It works pretty well for me (I get maybe 1 or 2 spam messages per week). I have the filter set to extreme and it has only falsly flagged one personal email. You can also setup options for reporting and dealing with flagged spam. More info can be found here
There is also some options for dealing w/ spam in groupwise (ie flagging it as spam and sending it to a folder), but I need to find the online documentation for it.
__________________
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
Be Touched

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Mike Richichi's Avatar
Mike Richichi Mike Richichi is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 220
Default

Kevin's right about all of this. You really should be doing server-side spam filtering instead of client-side, it will improve performance greatly, and we provide it for that reason.

You're also not required to use the GroupWise client. You're welcome to use WebMail exclusively (that and the GW Windows client are fully supported by CNS) and you may find the performance of the web client better than the PC one. You can also use Mozilla/Thunderbird/Outlook Express (any IMAP client) against the GroupWise server, and it works okay, but you won't get the calendar access, address books, and other GroupWise features. It's also not supported, as in if it stops working or doesn't work the way you'd like you're on your own (but our testing shows it works well in terms of the functionality those programs provide). I've lately been playing with Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 and the Evolution client, which actually works pretty well--better, in my opinion, than the GroupWise Linux client. But, we won't be answering helpdesk calls about it ;-).

I'd been running GroupWise on an R40 for several months (I have a T60 that I bought now) and I did not have such performance issues, with the possible exception of the early 7.0 clients, which you should have had to upgrade to the 7.0.1 client at this point. It is true that enterprise email clients like GroupWise, Outlook, and Lotus Notes are more feature-rich than simple IMAP clients and need a little more CPU horsepower, but we never found the GroupWise performance on any of the ThinkPads to be unacceptable.


You can (and should) read http://depts.drew.edu/cns/groupwise/clients.php for the lowdown on the situation with clients, what works and doesn't, what's supported and not, and other useful information.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
There are some options available that might help with some of your complaints. I am assuming you're using the program in online mode. If you're off campus and have a slow connection, one option would be to switch it to caching mode. This saves a copy of all your emails and appointments to your harddrive and only goes online to see if there's anything new to add. It doesnt need to go online and download all of your messages everytime you startup the program. Instructions for setting up caching mode can be found at the ITS website.
A word of warning though, since it will have to initially download all of your emails, it is suggested to enable caching mode when you have access to a fast connection (ie on campus), otherwise it may take a while to download everything.

Another option is to use the Groupwise Notify program to alert you when you receive new emails. It runs in the background and checks the server every 10 minutes looking for changes. When you recieve new mail, it will pop up a little notification informing you of the new mail and will allow you to open up groupwise to read it. Since you enter in your password when you startup notify, it doesnt take as long to load groupwise to read the mail. This is what I personally use when I am off campus, I am instantly notified of new mail and appointments without having to leave groupwise running. With the latest service pack update, it can be located in the start menu under novell (I think that's where it is, I am at work now and not positive).

As for the SPAM situation, I must ask of you have enabled the Drew Spam Filter. It works pretty well for me (I get maybe 1 or 2 spam messages per week). I have the filter set to extreme and it has only falsly flagged one personal email. You can also setup options for reporting and dealing with flagged spam. More info can be found here
There is also some options for dealing w/ spam in groupwise (ie flagging it as spam and sending it to a folder), but I need to find the online documentation for it.
__________________
--Mike Richichi
Director of Computing and Network Services
http://depts.drew.edu/cns/

Last edited by Mike Richichi : 08-24-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Mike Richichi's Avatar
Mike Richichi Mike Richichi is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 220
Default Also

With the current GroupWise client, when you're logged in to the network on campus you don't need to reenter your password when you start GroupWise. That's pretty cool.
__________________
--Mike Richichi
Director of Computing and Network Services
http://depts.drew.edu/cns/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2006, 05:17 PM
E. Axel Larsson's Avatar
E. Axel Larsson E. Axel Larsson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, NJ
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
I recall someone from CNS telling me that the switch to GroupWise would be mandatory.

Is there any way I could *not* use this janky program? I need a plain old email client that loads in under a minute, not something with a bunch of extra bells and whistles that consistently softlocks my computer and eats more memory every time I send an email. In my opinion, Thunderbird and Mozilla Mail were a lot quicker for my rickety lil' R40, and just much simpler and more convenient. Also, the junk mail filter on GroupWise is pretty horrific. My inbox is barely usable, thanks to the generous plethora of free Viagra invitations I'm getting... the price I pay for having my email address posted on the MadAve site.

I don't doubt that this program has its perks... I'm just failing to see any just yet.

It's pretty. I will give it that.

Just curious if I could go through a POP3 or however it was configured before. I'm not too keen on setting up email.

Thanks.
How much memory is your grpwise.exe process using just out of curiosity. After using it for an entire day to send/receive emails (and I never close the client), mine is now only using 13MB. I don't think I've ever seen it climb over 20MB. My Firefox web browser, on the other hand, is currently sucking up 40MB.

One thought: How well does your IE browser work on that machine? The reason I ask is because GroupWise uses the IE engine to render HTML mail, (it scrubs malicious code and images from HTML before passing it to IE for rendering) so if your IE installation is riddled with spyware, misc. toolbars, and other stuff, it is possible that all of that stuff is being loaded whenever GW goes to display an HTML message.
__________________
E. Axel Larsson
Systems Architect and Director of the Enterprise Technology Center

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 08-24-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
E. Axel Larsson's Avatar
E. Axel Larsson E. Axel Larsson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, NJ
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
As for the SPAM situation, I must ask of you have enabled the Drew Spam Filter. It works pretty well for me (I get maybe 1 or 2 spam messages per week). I have the filter set to extreme and it has only falsly flagged one personal email. You can also setup options for reporting and dealing with flagged spam. More info can be found here
There is also some options for dealing w/ spam in groupwise (ie flagging it as spam and sending it to a folder), but I need to find the online documentation for it.

The GW junk folder and the GWGuardian serve-side spam filtering can work together. If you enable GWGuardian using the default settings, you will get a daily Quarantine report from the mail server showing what spam was captured. If you'd rather have the messages go into the GW Junk folder, you should enable GW's Junk filtering (you just need to select the Enable Junk List checkbox in GW, you don't actually need to put anyone on your junk list, block list, or trust list) and then in GWGuardian select the option to Tag the Message and let it pass through instead of Quarantine. The spam messages will then go into the GW Junk folder and you can then use GW's options for automatic cleanup of that folder.
__________________
E. Axel Larsson
Systems Architect and Director of the Enterprise Technology Center
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Jason R. Howe's Avatar
Jason R. Howe Jason R. Howe is offline
Ranger Cub
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rockaway, NJ
Posts: 44
Default

My observations from a performance standpoint are: I currently run it on my R40 and I don't have any performance issues, even using it in online mode at home -- It also ran at a respectable speed on my Armada (Celeron 550), so I would venture to guess that there are other issues with your computer that are causing your groupwise grief.

If you're concerned about initial load times for the program, perhaps a Hard Drive defrag could help that. A severly fragmented hard drive can have a heavy impact on performance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Justin M. Giza
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
...but you won't get the calendar access, address books, and other GroupWise features.

Great and grand by me. I mean... I've got a datebook for all that stuff.

As for running it in online mode - I'm not, nor was I at the time of my initial post. I have it in cache mode, and it's still just buggin'.

Granted, my computer's started having more hardware issues and it's been a lil' slower, but I'm pretty sure it's something within the program itself. I'll keep looking into it.

As for the defrag, that's a no-go. I defrag my computer pretty frequently.

Unlike a lot of the people who post here, I promise I take pristine care of my hardware. I know how to maintain my computer. ;D

Thanks for the help.

--Me
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Justin M. Giza
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
How much memory is your grpwise.exe process using just out of curiosity. After using it for an entire day to send/receive emails (and I never close the client), mine is now only using 13MB. I don't think I've ever seen it climb over 20MB. My Firefox web browser, on the other hand, is currently sucking up 40MB.

One thought: How well does your IE browser work on that machine? The reason I ask is because GroupWise uses the IE engine to render HTML mail, (it scrubs malicious code and images from HTML before passing it to IE for rendering) so if your IE installation is riddled with spyware, misc. toolbars, and other stuff, it is possible that all of that stuff is being loaded whenever GW goes to display an HTML message.

Apologies for the double-post.

I don't use IE, as again, as I'm one of the few folks who actually bothers to take care of his computer, there's plenty of anti-spyware stuff on here (Ad-Aware Plus SE, presently). There's no spyware or anything to be found here. IE's runnin' like a dream.

Well... as much of a dream as IE can be, anyway.

As for the memory it was taking up, it read as anywhere from 2-7MB per instance of the application.

EDIT: Apologies for not being a little clearer when explaining the memory problem before. For whatever reason, each time I send out an email from groupwise, an extension of the program (GWmailto.exe) opens, and remains open, until I either close it via Task Manager or I reboot my computer. Hence the problem.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 09-01-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Amanda L. Brennan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
As for the SPAM situation, I must ask of you have enabled the Drew Spam Filter. It works pretty well for me (I get maybe 1 or 2 spam messages per week). I have the filter set to extreme and it has only falsly flagged one personal email. You can also setup options for reporting and dealing with flagged spam. More info can be found here
There is also some options for dealing w/ spam in groupwise (ie flagging it as spam and sending it to a folder), but I need to find the online documentation for it.

I agree, this is amazing and will make your life hella easier.

Also, what other client are you trying to use?

[cns workers end reading here]
My thunderbird has been treating me fine since May, even after the switch. If you want, I could set up thunderbird for you?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.5.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Drew University is not responsible for the content of posts made on this site. All posts and comments reflect the opinion of the author.