Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Raven Brockriede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ogonowski
yo i'm down. my best friend has had it since before i met him 10 years ago. he hasn't even told his dad, because he's afraid his dad will get depressed. it's not quite as serious as your brother has it raven but he still has it. i'm down just let me know what to do.

does he have type one or two? because type two has nothing to do with JDRF....it's not the same, but you are welcome to HELP ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!
i hope he does have type 2 b/c that is easier to deal with. even hosptials mistake Juvenile diabetes with type 2, which is SCARY! i want this group to help hospitals become educated......your friend probably has Juvenile diabetes, but you probably don't see how serious it actually is because people with it seem almost 100 % healthy, unitl you enter their house and live with them for a few days. then you see that they are only doing well because they are getting treatment, and without that painstaking vigil parents take over their children, or in my case siblings take over their siblings, they would be a wreck: in and out of hospitals all the time, out of school alot, and generally having seizures, and convulsions, and stuff like that. I hope your friend is doing GREAT, because that means he handles his disease well, and takes care of every aspect of his life..

sorry to drone on, but I've been doing this since I was 11yrs old, volunteering, speaking, helping, and being basically a nurse to not only my brother, but to other children as well, this organization and the Juvenile DIabetics are my passion. I WANT TO DO SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! (i'm going to cry... I'm okay..lol)

so yea, join!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Raven Brockriede

Default Okay!!!!!!!

so now, all we need are more volunteers, "members" and we can go from there. I will make sure that when I get my housing information, I will let everyone know who wants to join where to find me, and we'll set up a meeting a week or two or three after we get there (depending on everyone's plans...)

my email is:

rbrockri@drew.edu
I am setting up a facebook group as well, for people to join, just keep on finding people to help!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKYOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

*and as for the autism, Henry, that's for you to organize, but I am DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( i love helping!!!)
Old 06-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Christian Ciobanu

Default Drew's Volunteer Resource Center

Hi, I am a sophomore student at Drew and I am a member of Drew's Volunteer Resource Center as well. The Resource Center runs a variety of charity drives for different causes and works with several organizations as well. Therefore, if you would like to join the Volunteer Resource Center, we can help you to create an event to raise awareness about JD or we could create an event with a local JDRF site.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Heather Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielle Duke
nah i dont mind. ive had to discuss it alot
he's severley autistic. he's going to be five and is functioning at about an 8 month level so he doesnt really talk, istn potty trained or anything like that.
he can walk on his own but has no sense of danger so will run into the street and stuff like that
he is slowly improving tho and is starting to recognize people and is able to somewhat communicate the things that he needs and is beginning to be able to parrot words tho he cant say things on his own yet.

my sister was like that at four now she is 8. she still doesn't have a sense of danger, but she learns like fire does burn and she doesn't parrot anymore, but she doesn't come up with new things like if you ask how was your day today she will say ok or good day, but she never goes any farther unless you really push it and she is in a good mood. School really does help, like now she can read and write and do some math, but she is suppossed to be in 4th grade, but she is ata 1st grade level.Truefully though that is not severe. Severe autism is where the don't speak at all, don't feel any emotions, and human touch hurts them you really wouldn't even be able to have skin to skin contact like hugs and kisses, because to them it feels like something is burning their skin. Some autistic kids can't even function.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Marielle Duke

yea, he was alot more severe when he was little. he didnt recognize anyone and wouldnt let people hug him . thankfully this years hes improved alot (at least for an autistic child ) so we are grateful.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Heather Greco

I'm glad just be careful, because my sister figured out emotions she feels them, but she didn't understand empathy so now she uses them to munipulate people like crying real crying huge tears to get what she wants. but if you cry she comforts you, but doesn't understand why you are crying.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Raven Brockriede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Greco
I'm glad just be careful, because my sister figured out emotions she feels them, but she didn't understand empathy so now she uses them to munipulate people like crying real crying huge tears to get what she wants. but if you cry she comforts you, but doesn't understand why you are crying.

my little cousin does NOT have autism that bad, thankfully....
I'm sorry to hear about all this, both of you...it must be hard.

it's good that they are improving though....
Old 07-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Squirrel

If you do start a group I'll help out with events and what not. By the way does anyone know if theres a local 1st aid squad near Drew?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Heather Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Brockriede
my little cousin does NOT have autism that bad, thankfully....
I'm sorry to hear about all this, both of you...it must be hard.

it's good that they are improving though....

Don't worry when you live with it It doesn't even feel like a hadicap just an annoying little pest like a regular little sister LOL
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Nancy Chen

I'm all about volunteering for a good cause if you guys need any help just let me know.