Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Yasin B. Abbak

Default Here's an idea.

I have no problem with people having complaints about how something is run. You have successfully grabbed the attention of at least me and the other students who have posted here. Congratulations. You have started a diaologue.

My suggestion is to take Dan Sorenson's advice and take the extra step. if you have all these complaints, do something about it. If you don't know how, let me direct you to a few resources on campus that can help you out.

First off, President Weisbuch offers weekly office hours. Use them.

Secondly, the SGA is always begging for student input and opinions. They have a lot of committees that are made to better represent the students and their needs. A lot of people ask what the SGA does. Many think nothing comes out of the SGA. They are wrong. For example, student representatives from the SGA sat on the dining committee making important decisions regarding your number one complaint...food. So go to the SGA. Students utilizing the SGA will empower the SGA. It's pretty simple, and you have a great audience at every meeting. To my recollection, the meetings are every Sunday at 6pm in UC 103. If that is incorrect I hope someone corrects me.

I think this might help. For the record, I don't support half of your complaints. Fortunately, I believe that everyone is as important as the next person and so I respect your opinions. I hope that in the next month or so you will give us an update on how you went about enacting change. If you drop the ball here all you will have accomplished is riling up a bunch of students who enjoy the Drew atmosphere and appreciate the positives.

-Yasin
Old 01-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Neal B. Day

Well, many of the complaints, I can't do anything about. I can't get drew a D3 football team. I can't lower tuition. I can't change the food. Me and my roommates are trying to get a film club on campus, where people can make their own movies using Drew equipment, so we're trying on that front.

Again, i didn't mean to offend anyone. This was just a discussion of what I think Drew could use to put it on par with really top level schools. (not that it isn't but..i hope you know what I mean...)
Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Jacqueline Pugliese

I would have to agree with Yasin. Come voice your opinion and your concern to the SGA. I am the secretary of the Student Government so please feel free to contact me with anything that you might need or want to talk about. We have multiple committees that work to make sure that your voice is heard. Our first meeting of the semester will be the Sunday after the Superbowl at 6 in the UC, usually in the large room across from the SGA office. Also SOAC, Student Organization Advisory Committee, could be helpful to you. They help new and upcoming organizations grab some footing and can prove to be a helpful tool in the film club that you are interested in starting. If there anything else that I can help you with please let me know.

Jackie Pugliese
Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Thomas M. Morgan

Default two words:

yellow mustard.

I mean c'mon, its yellow mustard.

The snack bar has it, but thats only half the battle.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Erik D. Emdur

Thumbs up blue mustard

I think we need a club for complaining. That would generate more student input then anything else.

No, but seriously, you sound like you have some good ideas. You should really come and talk to me at my open office hours (look for an email soon). I can answer some of your questions, correct some misinformation, and help come up with ways to achieve some of your suggestions.

Some things, like tuition, are simply not going to change. Others, like the UC, for instance, already have major changes on the way. (i.e. it's getting knocked down and a gold medal student center is set to take its place)

As for your friend who is having trouble accomplishing his goal (I think I know to whom and to what you are referring), consider whether or not his plan is ACTUALLY desired by the student body. While it may be in our best interests, we may not be interested. That was virtually the consensus opinion of the SGA. Were you at drew when they tried to make it a "dry" campus? Do you remember the student response? For college students, unfortunately, some things come before health.

Well, I look forward to a conversation with you in which we can outline some paths for progress. See you then.

Peace,
Erik Emdur
Student Government President
Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Cheryl A. Hackett

Default Film Club

Hi Neal,
My name is Cheryl I am actually head of the UPB Films committee on campus. We are going to begin meetings soon and what we do is pick the free movies that we show on campus over the weekend. So if you are interested in maybe joining the committee and helping me chose movies for next semester and learning about this semester's choices feel free to email me at chackett@drew.edu!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Squirrel

hi again. i'd like to reiterate: there are other venues besides SGA meetings where you can voice your opinion.
also, NOTHING is set in stone... change is possible even for some things that seem so structurally and systematically concrete. this is our school. we should have a say in what goes on -- even at the administrative level. but then again, that's just my opinion. and i am open to others.
but anyway, the real point i'm trying to make here to you, neal, is that the SGA isn't your only option for making change.
students for a democratic society, for example, is a great organization that is always working towards bettering our school. and i know they too would love to hear what you have to say.

also, i felt some hostility in some of the responses in this discussion. while i know that this IS the internet and one cannot truly understand the motivation/sentiments of whoever might be writing, but i don't know... i felt disempowered rather than encouraged when reading some messages in this discussion.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Squirrel

also.
yeah, yellow mustard would be pretty awesome.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal B. Day
3. Tuition. 50,000. Wow. For what?
Well, no. You're adding in room & board and other estimated personal costs to give the cost of attendance. Tuition is $35,065, which is admittedly not a small number and you might think it too much, but if you're going to sling around numbers, sling around the right ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal B. Day
5. The money seems to be going to the wrong areas. The gym center (w/e its called) seems to be one of the nicest places on campus. But in the classrooms, the desks are old and small, its not completely wireless (for a school that demands you buy a laptop, no less).
I actually find the vast majority of places I go on campus now have wireless access. Where exactly do you not find this? (I see your complaint about Hoyt, which is a res hall and not a classroom building.)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Sarah G. Davie

i completely agree with you on all of those thingS, especially that our money is going into the wrong places. if people do their research, not everyone who is getting scholarships at drew necessarily need and/or deserve them. a friend of mine is a straight A student and a hard worker, and it kills me to know that she is getting the same amount of money from drew that a lacrosse boy who has a C average that did not do even remotely as well as she did on her SATs or in high school in general.

drew, please, we are reaching out to you right now posting these bulletins. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE AND IT IS YOUR JOB TO FIX IT.