Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

singular of tizzy. Not sure how real the word is, but it's basically going crazy over stupid shit.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Raven Brockriede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Benavides
i thought those 2 chapters were the best of the book they give insight into whats inside primos head i think you should read em but thas jus me yo

those 2 were my favorite ones!!!! WHY WOULD YOU SKIP! lol! ( so, yea, i agree andy...100%

ps. i went into finding the realtions between the elements and the chapters and changed my mind b/c i didn't want to write an epic novel...

how long does this paper need to be anyway!?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Jackie DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Brockriede
those 2 were my favorite ones!!!! WHY WOULD YOU SKIP! lol! ( so, yea, i agree andy...100%

ps. i went into finding the realtions between the elements and the chapters and changed my mind b/c i didn't want to write an epic novel...

1-2 pages... people are saying Times New Roman, double-spaced. Mine was about a page and a half.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Raven Brockriede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
1-2 pages... people are saying Times New Roman, double-spaced. Mine was about a page and a half.

thanks! wow-i finally found a part of the book worth writing about! DESOLATION ISLAND--yay! thank you again!!!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Liza Roe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Brockriede

Yea, no way would I do it on the whole book. But it might suffice to do it on one or two chapters. Besides you can do whatever you want, I don't think they are expecting too much out of us, we're just freshman. And even if they are, that is my excuse. You can only use the dumb freshman excuse for one year so we might as well take advantage of it.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
singular of tizzy. Not sure how real the word is, but it's basically going crazy over stupid shit.

the validity of a word is based solely on its use in the population that speaks it. since people say "tizzy" and largely understand its meaning, it's real

sorry, sometimes i just can't contain the linguistics.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
sorry, sometimes i just can't contain the linguistics.

Linguistics, eh? (NSFW)
Old 08-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Linguistics, eh? (NSFW)

HAHAHAHA. i can laugh at that and disassociate myself, for i am a comparative/historical linguist with only a passing interest in the field's computational bastard child. LONG LIVE PHONEMES.

...no seriously, mandy? where are you when i need some nerdy phonetic backup? slip me some IPA, baby.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Linguistics, eh? (NSFW)

STORY OF MY LIFE. I'm both emo AND a linguist.

Anyway, Ben, we are the musicmakers and we are the dreamers of dreams. We are also the definitive source on our own lexicon. If you think your singular is a real word despite the dictionary's agreement, it is because you use it and you have given it meaning. A wordmaker is you!
Old 08-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda L. Brennan
STORY OF MY LIFE. I'm both emo AND a linguist.

Anyway, Ben, we are the musicmakers and we are the dreamers of dreams. We are also the definitive source on our own lexicon. If you think your singular is a real word despite the dictionary's agreement, it is because you use it and you have given it meaning. A wordmaker is you!

This is true. I also found it on dictionary.com, and that generally suggests it's probably true.

Though I could go post-structural rhetorician on y'all and complain that if someone has to ask what it means, then it's probably not a word since it can't convey one meaning. Then again, since a word doesn't really signify anything, any word (or no word) could (or should) do, now schouldn't it?

I sincerely apologize for taking this WAY too far. But like Dia said.... can't contain the linguist in me.