Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Ranger Cub

I like the book a lot. I'm not too far into it yet, but it seems like it will be a quick read.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. ~ Douglas Adams

If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists. ~ Antoine de St. Exupery
Old 07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Camille Gallo

...So the paper has to be a reflection paper?? I know someone already said stuff about the theme and relating it to other books....or does it just have to be what we thought of the book?? Is it formal or personal writing?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Michelle Feigin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Gallo
...So the paper has to be a reflection paper?? I know someone already said stuff about the theme and relating it to other books....or does it just have to be what we thought of the book?? Is it formal or personal writing?

I think that it is just something personal to write. Whatever thoughts were going through your head while you read it or what you liked or disliked about it, comparing it to other books you have liked or disliked, etc. Just your personal opinion and what it made you think about.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Mei Zheng

i am almost done with the book. making myself read about 50 pages per days. i must say this is not the type of book i like to read. also i have to go look for my bill b/c when i was moving my sis replace along with her college bill somewhere.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Raven Brockriede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei Zheng
i am almost done with the book. making myself read about 50 pages per days. i must say this is not the type of book i like to read. also i have to go look for my bill b/c when i was moving my sis replace along with her college bill somewhere.

the book bores me so far....i'm only 30 pages in...
Old 07-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Michelle Feigin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Caputo
i'm pretty sure this is one of the worst books i have ever read. i'm halfway through and he still hasn't made a single damn point about anything. except that he is a chemistry nerd.

frankly, i am absurdly jealous of the class of 2009. they got kite runner...easily one of the best books ever. and we get Nerds on Parade. yessssss. ohhh well.

I couldn't agree with you more! I can't even get to 10 pages without the urge to fall asleep but I have to tell you - this book sure cures my insomnia. lol
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Patrick Sobieski

you should have gotten it in the mail
Old 07-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Erin Carroll

OK, I'm about 100 pages into the book, and I find it so boring! I mean, I love to read, and the Holocaust is a very interesting and important subject, but the author seems to focus more on his life as a chemist. He rambles on for pages about his chemistry experiments, and since I'm not a science major, I feel so lost in what he's talking about. I hope this book picks up. I want to be able to write a good paper but I can't get into the book. Does anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Camille Gallo

Yeah I agree. I like to read and find WWII and the holocaust very interesting, but I can not get into this book. It seems to be more about chemistry then anything else. It sucks that the book isnt on sparknotes or anything either...to help you along (not get out of actually reading).

I'm still worried about the paper. Is everyone just writing a reflection paper as in ....your thoughts and feeling etc?? I still dont know if it should be formal or informal with "I, you, me" ....
Old 07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Alona Gutman

I wouldn't worry too much about the paper- I expect it's whatever you feel about it, and since they haven't specified or sent any kind of grading system for the paper, they can't really expect anything in particular.

The book really is pretty dull- I've never been one for chemistry...I don't mind it too much, it's good to read something I probably wouldn't otherwise, but I have read dozens of Holocaust books more interesting than this...the premise is interesting enough, I guess.