Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Neal B. Day

Default Since people like to give me hell about my gripes

Public Safety.

There are some really great people who work for public safety, and they do they're job in a respectable way. Chief Evans is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. But why do some of the officers have to be so rude, so discourteous and even so inappropriate? I know it's got to be a hard job sometimes, but why do they have to act so tough on a relatively small party school like Drew?

Discuss
Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Charles D. Knight

It seems to me that a lot of what Public Safety does is based on previous actions. I don't know - there's a very good chance that I'm wrong. But my only issue with PS is that it seems they pick their spots and try to find or catch students doing something wrong as opposed to simply seeing something wrong and appropriately disciplining. They seem to try and find people doing something wrong instead of just watching for wrong-doing. This is my only gripe with PS. Other than that, they have been courteous, respectful and completely appropriate. I only wish, like many others (including Neal B. Day), that they would recognize that Drew is a pretty school that is not worthy of major party busts. Hey hey hey hey, smoke weed every day.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Neal B. Day

Haha, I know they're listening, but hopefully that will lead to more respectful P-Safety officers. After all, they're only there because we are.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Matthew D. Ogonowski

they're too busy policing us instead of doing their jobs...protecting us.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
John Mangione

Unhappy PS scandal

Hey yeah I'm transferring to Drew, and I read the article in the acorn recently about a PSO harassing some drinkers. He sounded like an outcast redneck who believes in the bedrock interpretation of the constitution (just kidding, but really). What was up with that whole thing? If I'm underage and I happen to be peer pressured into some drinking, am I going to be harassed by these people? are they really just after the Mary Jane? What is the story here?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM
Neal B. Day

The instance that occurred last week really was an anomaly. Usually P-Safe is just verbally rude, interrupting when students try to be heard, and assuming the worst. It's never really as bad as that one instance
Old 05-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Erik D. Emdur

They certainly have gotten better, but there is still room for improvement in their interactions with students. When I was a freshman, the officers at that time were truly our friends, and when they caught us drinking, they rarely even wrote us up; they just took our alcohol and joked around with us for a few minutes before letting us be. Now they are too concerned with how intimidating they are and how they can trick people into incriminating themselves and it's really not useful for anybody. When they were our friends, we shared information and trusted one another. Now they're just like real police and (aside from a few exceptions) we avoid them like the plague. But again, I have noticed them trying harder to be the public safety Drew needs.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Jacqueline Pugliese

I think it is important to also keep in mind the changing atmosphere of many college campuses. While we are a safe school in Madison, New Jersey our Public Safety Officers are paid to be vigilant and monitor the student body. With school violence being a widespread problem throughout the country it might be important to keep in mind that they are just doing their jobs.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Meaghan E. Bratichak

People need to remember-- when you are the one being "hassled" that is probably because someone else is being protected. Public Safety doesn't get a bonus for busting people, they respond when other people have lodged noise complaints or claimed that they don't feel safe. Just remember how much you have bitched next time you're the one who needs help. Sure, it's annoying to be the one who is confronted when you don't think you deserve it, but that is someone else's need to feel safe.

People who complain about security also tend to be the first ones who complain when they feel like they are not adequately protected.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Young Squirrel

Quote:
People need to remember-- when you are the one being "hassled" that is probably because someone else is being protected. Public Safety doesn't get a bonus for busting people, they respond when other people have lodged noise complaints or claimed that they don't feel safe. Just remember how much you have bitched next time you're the one who needs help. Sure, it's annoying to be the one who is confronted when you don't think you deserve it, but that is someone else's need to feel safe.

People who complain about security also tend to be the first ones who complain when they feel like they are not adequately protected.

I personally don't know about that too much. I've been harassed by p-safe in fall of 2009, for apparently smoking weed. I was with two of my friends, none of us had weed on us. We were taking a walk and having a cigarette. After the PSO stopped us, yelled at us and accused of of having weed. We were forced to stand outside for over an hour while he tried to find "discarded evidence." If someone really needed protection, then I don't think them spending over an hour trying to find something that isn't there really counts as "protecting" anyone in any sense of the word. Also, when he wrote us up, mine was never put in. However the two people I was with, had there's put on record, as well as the statement altered.