Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Vincent J. Gamuzza
 
Posts: n/a
Angry The worst book ever written, AKA, "The Kite Runner"

Did anyone else hate the kite runner as much as i did. It was by fat the worst book ive ever read. Personally i think the book's main character Amir, was a coward, lier, and theif. There were points where wanted to tear the pages up and burn the book. If anyone else feels as strongly as i do, plz reply. I hate this book with the fury and passion of 1000 burning sun's
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Rachel M. Kenner
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent J. Gamuzza
Personally i think the book's main character Amir, was a coward, lier, and theif.

He was exactly that: a coward, a liar, and really a bit of an idiot. That, however, is part of the point. Did you hate the book or the main character? There was only one moment in the book when I had any respect for Amir, and for the most part he made me really, really angry. However, there is a difference between hating a character and hating a book. So, if you hated the book, why? What was so bad about it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Andrew L. Schaffer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I enjoyed the story, although, the more I thought about it the more the characters seemed to be cut out shapes than deep three dimensional characters.

Last edited by Andrew L. Schaffer : 08-22-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2005, 04:01 AM
Golbanou Tabatabaie's Avatar
Golbanou Tabatabaie Golbanou Tabatabaie is offline
Elder Drewid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: we run this town
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent J. Gamuzza
Personally i think the book's main character Amir, was a coward, lier, and theif.

His spelling was also better than yours.
__________________
Live Loud.
"Can I bring my pet fluffball with me or might he be anally raped by a spoon in the middle of the night?" -Dia
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Marla B. Rosenfeld
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I found the book to be extraoridnary...the fact that Hosseini's characters influeneced you is the sure sign of a great novel...when one becomes emotionally involved with a character and it is infuriating when he/she does something, it is because you are engrossed in the book!!! How did those who hated write their papers? What did you say??
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Jenna L. Scandone
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
His spelling was also better than yours.

insulting people because of typos and spelling errors in an age where spellcheck has replaced spelling tests is pretty lame. thought you oughta know. peace.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Rachel M. Kenner
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla B. Rosenfeld
the fact that Hosseini's characters influeneced you is the sure sign of a great novel...when one becomes emotionally involved with a character and it is infuriating when he/she does something, it is because you are engrossed in the book!!!

Not necessarily. It is not hard to be angry at Amir. What he does is in no way, shape, or form, acceptable. It is a complete betrayal of someone who would literally have done anything for him. I wasn't particularly engrossed, nor did I think it was a "great" novel. I certainly wasn't emotionally involved. It is a good book, I just don't think it's great. If this had been published 10 years ago, I doubt it would be the "must read" book.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Russell W. Sprague's Avatar
Russell W. Sprague Russell W. Sprague is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna L. Scandone
insulting people because of typos and spelling errors in an age where spellcheck has replaced spelling tests is pretty lame. thought you oughta know. peace.
What about making fun of people for poor grammar or foolishly imitating Edward Estlin Cummings?
__________________
Russell Sprague
Enterprise Applications Administrator and Consultant

the Enterprise Technology Center
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Vincent J. Gamuzza
 
Posts: n/a
Default Rebuttle

People plz so I made 1 little typo, a t for an r, get over it besides an good writer isnt looking to infuriate their reading audience, he/she is looking to motivate and captivate them, not anger them so much to the point of burning their books.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Dia O'Neil
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent J. Gamuzza
People plz so I made 1 little typo, a t for an r, get over it besides an good writer isnt looking to infuriate their reading audience, he/she is looking to motivate and captivate them, not anger them so much to the point of burning their books.


i dunno. i would LOVE it if i could piss people off so much that they'd be driven to burning my work *grin*
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.5.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Drew University is not responsible for the content of posts made on this site. All posts and comments reflect the opinion of the author.