Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Faculty & Staff Forums > Faculty and Staff Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Squirrel

Default Friends of Animals - Help needed

Hi, I'm Gamin, and I am new to the Drew Community. I've just started working at Drew (July 5), and relocated here from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Here is my question - are there any animal lovers out there who would be willing and/or able to take in one (or two) dogs for a year? I'm living in an apartment where I simply can't keep them, but I plan on moving to a place where I can have them next summer. They are both in very temporary places right now (one in Alabama and one in Virginia), and if I could just get them up here to the area, that would be great!

Both are well-mannered and fully house trained. They are males, aprox 3 and 1/2 years old, neutered and have all of their shots. Beyond that they can both sit and shake a paw.

Doster is about 3 and 1/2 years old, mixed breed, black with some brown, and weighs in at about 75 pounds. He is a rescue dog found on campus at my old job. He is very sweet and a little bit dopey. He loves people and other animals, and if anything he is a little bit too enthusiastic (will jump up and lick you in the face!).

Charlie is roughly the same age, also mixed breed, brown black and white, and weighs between 65 and 70 pounds. He was rescued from a country road in Alabama two years ago, where he was just standing in the middle of the road waiting for someone to help him! Charlie is the sweetest dog ever born, and when he looks at you with his big brown eyes you will positively melt. He needs reassurance that you are there for him, usually he comes up to any friendly looking person and just lays his head in your lap.

If you, or anyone you know, can provide a temporary home (until next summer) for either one or both, I will provide the following:

* All medical care including monthly flea treatment (frontline or similar). If they require any trips to the vet I will come and pick them up, etc.
* Bowls, leashes, collars, walking harnesses, nametags, rabies shots tags, any other registration they would need.
* I will pay you for all expenses including food and treats (I can also buy and deliver all supplies if that is easier for you!).
* When you go out of town I will dog-sit and take care of any other pets you have too.
*Also, if it is alright with you, I will come by and walk them or visit at your convenience.

Please consider doing this huge favor, you won't be sorry! My email is gbartle@drew.edu.

Thanks,
Gamin

p.s. I wasn't sure where to post, hope this is ok. Thanks for reading!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Squirrel

Lightbulb

Gamin,

E-mail me direct. I'm in a state of transition in my personal life and can't take Doster and Charlie in myself, but I might be able to help out with contacts. I've been involved with dogs in this area for over 30 years, am active on several national dog mailing lists, and was a 4H leader in a dog club for over 12 years. I have some ideas that might help you.

Ginny
Old 07-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Squirrel

Default Homes for sweet dogs

Gamin,
I hope that Virginia was able to help you but there might be someone here in our office that can help you find homes or take them herself. I haven't asked her but she deals with dogs for the blind and maybe they have people who would want one or two dogs temporarily.

I would take them since I love dogs but I live with my in-laws in a two family and I have two cats (Charlie & Xany). Don't think they would be too happy about the new company.

Let me know if you want her name and email address. Maybe you can contact her and see if she is interested.

Cia