Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Squirrel

Default Think before you gripe.

I donít think $62.50 is too much to ask of us. Look how much the school does for us technologically speaking. CNS fixes our stuff for free. They also sometimes provide loaners for free while ours are being fixed. (What computer company does that?) Look at all the new stuff weíre getting for the dorms; and to the commuters: Youíre getting access to Drew software off campus! Also starting this year, freshmen donít have to buy the laptops outright; theyíre included in the technology fee! Donít complain that CNS has your computer all the time if you keep getting virusesÖitís not their fault. Run an anti-virus once in a while. Yes, our school is expensive, but so are almost ALL private universities. I know as well as anyone that extra fees suck, but youíre paying for the Drew name. If you donít want to pay less than $100 extra a semester, just transfer to a cheaper school.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Squirrel

I don't think Drew said "We're lowering tuition increases by $62.50" and then charged us that much. The technology fee is probably inconsequential compared to what the increase would have been. (probably close to $1000)
Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Squirrel

Lightbulb

Yeah, the fee really is not that much considering all that technological mumbo jumbo that is being added. It's just the way it was done that gets me. If a completely new fee is being added to the bill under a name that could not be more vague than "technology fee," there ought at least be some breakdown of all the fancy upgrades we're getting.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Elizabeth A. Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn M. Noland
Donít complain that CNS has your computer all the time if you keep getting virusesÖitís not their fault.

What about when the computers break down due to mandatory updates...?

But eh, I'm not really going to complain. I need my laptop fixed.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary R. Richmond
Remember how Drew touted that this year was the lowest tuition increase in a few years? Yeah, they tacked on an extra fee for us instead. Schools do that to get around the high increases in tuition.

The 07/08 tuition hike was 5.3%. 08/09 was 4.9% and 09/10 will be 4%. Now, not to confuse the issue with math or anything, but if the $125 (or $62.50 per semester) of the technology fee had been included in the tuition for 09/10 instead of broken out as a separate fee, the increase would have been more like 4.3%, which is still lower than last year's.

Given that Dave Muha explained the technology fee in some detail in the same Acorn article that touted the lower tuition increase, I don't think it's fair to suggest the school created the fee in order to be deceptive.

To provide some context, tuition didn't increase by less than 4.7% in a single year since 2001, and hasn't increased by less than 4% since 1997. If you want something to be upset about, just compare that to inflation, which has averaged under 3% since 1997 (and hasn't gone as high as 4% any single year since 1991). Not that Drew is by any means unique in that respect.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Elizabeth A. Young

...Oh snap.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Junior Drewid

Aha! I was wondering if the deceptive-fee-separation theory would hold water.