Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Nhuong N. Son

Exclamation Door Alarm

Why can't public safety turn off the door alarm in Hoyt?
My RA told me that they are doing a test. They can't turn it off.
The alarm have been going off since 2:45PM, now it is 4PM!

I live next to the door and the alarm. Imagine hearing that annoying high pitch beep for over an hour.. I can't take a nap. That noise is freaking annoying!

What kind of test are they doing for over an hour!?!?!!??!

When I called to public safety, they didn't even tell me that there was a test. They just never showed up. I had to ask my RA to call them again, that's when I found out.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Harmony D. Dougher

I called and they transferred me to facilities.. who never picked up.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Charles M. Post

typical drew treatment to undergrads. remember last semester when that alarm would go off all the time? it has become an annoyance and disturbance for everyone in the Hoyt community. in a perfect world/university, when an alarm sounds, the powers that be come running. Not at Drew though.....
Old 04-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Squirrel

I don't believe the door alarm actually signals public safety, I think it is just designed to generate an annoying tone to let people know they are supposed to close propped doors. Of course, that means when it breaks, no one knows. In any case, Public Safety is not responsible for the door alarm, that is a facilities issue. If they transferred you to the facilities desk after 5, you probably had no chance of getting a live person. After hours you need the emergency maintenance number, which I don't know off the top of my head but it's on the web site I think.

The RA was probably mistaken about the test. A test should not generate a sustained tone like that. There were fire alarm tests yesterday, so somewhere between the RA and Public Safety, someone probably got confused about which system was making the noise. It unfortunate but these things happen. With issues like that, if you think one of the service groups on campus has made a mistake (like if they transfer you to a number that doesn't go anywhere, or take more than 2 hours to respond to an emergency issue) you should follow up. In most cases it will turn out to be an honest mistake. Everyone makes them.