Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Michelle G. Feigin

Default Wireless Connection NOT connecting

Hey. I usually go to my local library for internet and I have always been able to use it successfully before. Today, I connected to the network mulitple times, turned my wireless radio on and off, restarted my computer over and over and even though I am able to connect to a wireless network at excellent strength, whenever I go to open the internet explorer or firefox page, it doesn't go through.

I am very frustrated and I have no idea what I need to do. Please help!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Squirrel

Did you check with the library to make sure their AP's are working properly? You can have an excellent connection to a Wireless AP but if the AP doesn't have a working internet connection, you won't be able to get to the internet either. Maybe go back to the library today and see if it works now.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Ranger Cub

I'd also check to make sure your computer is configured to get an IP address from DHCP. I've seen computers that get configured for home cable modems with static IP addresses, which then don't work anywhere else.

To fix this, you can go to the Start Menu and Control Panel and then to Network Connections. Double click on the wireless network connection and then click on Properties. Scroll the list under "This connection uses the following items:" to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", select it, and click properties. Make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected and click OK to get out of the configuration windows.