Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Young Squirrel

Default T-mobile concerns

I'm currently under a contract for T-Mobile, and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know about how well T-Mobile works around campus...

I've read that T-Mobile doesn't serve the Drew community too well and that many people were jumping ship. I'm just curious as to whether or not its a valid problem or just something blown out of proportion.

Thanks for any and all feedback,
Brielle Tumblety
Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Young Squirrel

I'm a senior and have had T-mobile all through my time at Drew --
Service is an issue in some buildings, namely the Commons, McLendon, and Tolley-Brown. Definitely a problem when I lived in T/B during freshman year; I often had to go outside to make/receive phone calls, which isn't great during winter months. I really haven't had a problem with the rest of campus, though, my phone has two or three bars in most areas. For me the occasional inconvenience isn't worth switching to a more expensive provider.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Young Squirrel

I had a problem with T-mobile in many of the freshman dorms and the commons. It can be very frustrating at times, but certainly not impossible to deal with, as you can set up a land line.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Squirrel

I wish I read the forums more frequently so I could have responded to this when it was first written. But even though this thread is effectively dead, it's still pretty visible so I'll throw in a little more information for anyone interested in cell coverage on campus in general.

The new Distributed Antenna System (DAS) improves in-building cellular coverage for AT&T and Verizon in the following buildings:

McLendon
Welch/Holloway
Tolley/Brown
The Suites
Baldwin
Riker
Haselton

This does not mean there is perfect coverage in every area of these buildings. Baldwin, Riker, and Haselton have the most consistent coverage. McLendon still has some problems, particularly at the ends of the hallway. But all of these buildings will have AT&T and Verizon coverage somewhere inside.

For those who do not have Verizon or AT&T, or who do not live in a building covered by the DAS, I have a few anecdotal observations based on my own experiences. Bear in mind that interior coverage is extremely tricky, and can vary wildly from room to room and from one minute to the next. With that in mind:

The dorms in the Tolley/Brown/McLendon/Suites circle have the worst coverage. McLendon is the worst of those by far. Welch/Holloway are slightly better. HERB circle is significantly better, in that with all the major carriers you can probably make a call from somewhere in the building, and you are also likely to be able to make or receive calls in your room at least some of the time. Eberhardt and the Townhouses in particular do well with most carriers because they are woodframe buildings. Asbury and Hoyt have slightly better coverage than HERB circle. I know less about Wendel and Tipple, but sporadic reports from students indicate the coverage is not great. For those buildings that don't have DAS, most people say Verizon has the best coverage. Most people also say Verizon is the most expensive carrier.

I had T-mobile while living in Baldwin and Riker and I did fairly well with it. Sometimes I had to leave my room in Riker and wander the building to find good signal, but I don't recall ever having to go outside.

It's also important to keep in mind that different phones have different antennas, and not all are equal. I just got a new phone with T-mobile and I can't even send text messages in some areas where I could reliably make phone calls before. So while someone might tell you that a particular carrier works or doesn't work in a particular building, the only way to know if it will work for your phone is to take it to that building and test for yourself.