Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Young Squirrel

Default Battery life problems

I have the t61 (2011 laptop). It's less than a year old however I find myself stuggling to get the battery to last even 45 minutes. This is even with the power management set to "Maximum Battery Life". This is my main computer so I use it A LOT. When I'm not home or definitely not using it, the laptop either off or on standby/hibernate/whatever that is. I don't keep it plugged in all the time because I know that's not good for it. I really take care of it so why this is happening is beyond me. Obviously with a battery that won't last I won't be able to take it to class which is my biggest worry.

Do I really need to shell out $120+ for a new battery from the Lenovo website? Or does a problem such as this warrant a replacement? My fan already had to be replaced a few months ago. Is there a possibility that the previous overheating problem could have caused damage to the battery?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Kyle J. Horning

You'll probably have to buy one soon. I know it sucks, the same thing happened to me after just one year. I didn't keep it plugged in all the time either. My battery lasted a very short time and shortly after it didn't work at all. I got one down at CNS, under the library for I think $100. I was told that to make sure it lasts, unplug the computer and let the battery drain once a day. So that's what I"ve been doing since.

I think you have a one year warranty on the computer, or at least the battery. Since it's been less than a year, you might be able to get a replacement free. Though I"m not sure.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle J. Horning
You'll probably have to buy one soon. I know it sucks, the same thing happened to me after just one year. I didn't keep it plugged in all the time either. My battery lasted a very short time and shortly after it didn't work at all. I got one down at CNS, under the library for I think $100. I was told that to make sure it lasts, unplug the computer and let the battery drain once a day. So that's what I"ve been doing since.

I think you have a one year warranty on the computer, or at least the battery. Since it's been less than a year, you might be able to get a replacement free. Though I"m not sure.
The computer is warranted for a full four years. The battery is considered a "consumable" by the manufacturer and thus is only warranted for one year.

Suffice it to say, you should be getting more than 45 minutes of run time out of the battery. It also shouldn't be necessary to fully discharge the battery every day, but periodic reconditioning of the battery by fully discharging and recharging is recommended.

In some cases, the issue is that there is nothing wrong with the battery pack itself, but the runtime is being calculated incorrectly and the machine is shutting off prematurely as a result.

You can try resetting the battery gauge by going into the Thinkvantage Power Manager (under ThinkVantage in the Start > All Programs menu) and going to the Battery Information tab. There should be a Battery Maintenance button and from there you can click Perform Reset. This will fully discharge and recharge the battery pack and recalibrate the battery gauge.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 07-13-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:40 AM

Also, keep in mind that when your machine is in suspend mode, it is still using power to keep the memory alive. (granted, it isn't much, but is more than nothing.) Hibernate mode uses no battery power because the contents of memory are saved to the hard drive and the machine fully powers off.

On my ThinkPad X61 tablet (which granted is a smaller machine), I get about 2 days with the machine in suspend mode before it depletes the battery. Between 3-4 hours of actual battery runtime depending on what I'm doing.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Young Squirrel

Thanks for the info.
I did the battery gauge reset and then went ahead and checked out the run time and battery gauge.
At 100% at 3:11pm the gauge said I had 22 mins remaining. At 3:30pm The battery stretch balloon popped up, which indicates 24% left and it said I have 5 minutes left. 2 minutes later the alarm beeped and the system went into standby. I have my low battery indicator set to show at 11% and the alarm to sound at 5%. So it skipped right over the 11% indicator. This was during normal use, but with maximum performance set. Maximum battery life probably won't be much better. This was with doing web browsing and with MSN and AIM running.

So that didn't help much. What now? Who do I contact to get a new battery or should the lenovo website suffice? I hate to spend the money but oh well.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Squirrel

Default Battery still under warranty

If you have a T61, it's still less than a year old, so the battery should still be under warranty, but not for too much longer. (About August 15). You should contact the CNS helpdesk about getting it replaced under the warranty.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Heather M. Greco

Default help

The CNS helpdesk is in BC basement if you can its better to visit them because they will need your whole computer to get a replacement battery anyway.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Mary R. Richmond

If you can't make it there, you should be able to mail in your computer. That's how I got my computer back during Jan term 2007-- it was mailed to my home address in mid-January (after it being with CNS since December 1). But they give you a link to go to some website to see if your battery needs to be replaced or not.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Young Squirrel

I also have a battery life problem with my computer. I'm a rising sophmore so I just got my computer last year. It's always on maximum battery life and right nw at 85% its got about an 1 hr, 12 mins left. Fully charged it lasts for about 1 1/2 hours. That seems so little, and my friends' computer batteries always seem to have a longer life than mine, yet we got them at the same time and I try to take good care of my computer. Sometimes the battery will randomally register at 0% but continues to work because my computer is actually fully charged, it just registers at 0%. It sucks because sometime I can't get through a full class with my computer without sitting near a plug, which sometimes isn't accessible. I've been reading the replies and I want to make sure I can get a new battery while it's still under waranty. Do you think I need a new one, of is 1 1/2 hrs of battery life normal for these computers? It just seems like so little and it would be really convenient if I could obtain a longer battery life. I do keep it plugged in almost 24/7 so that could be adding to the problem. Thanks for any help!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia L. Brown
I also have a battery life problem with my computer. I'm a rising sophmore so I just got my computer last year. It's always on maximum battery life and right nw at 85% its got about an 1 hr, 12 mins left. Fully charged it lasts for about 1 1/2 hours. That seems so little, and my friends' computer batteries always seem to have a longer life than mine, yet we got them at the same time and I try to take good care of my computer. Sometimes the battery will randomally register at 0% but continues to work because my computer is actually fully charged, it just registers at 0%. It sucks because sometime I can't get through a full class with my computer without sitting near a plug, which sometimes isn't accessible. I've been reading the replies and I want to make sure I can get a new battery while it's still under waranty. Do you think I need a new one, of is 1 1/2 hrs of battery life normal for these computers? It just seems like so little and it would be really convenient if I could obtain a longer battery life. I do keep it plugged in almost 24/7 so that could be adding to the problem. Thanks for any help!
Have you tried the discharge/rechare procedure I outlined above?