Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 04:46 PM

Three random questions:

1) When you say it "lives in the case" what do you mean by that?
2) When you say you "don't pour root beer into [your] keyboard on a regular basis", how often would you say that you do pour root beer in it?
3) What do you do with your machine, and for about how many hours a day? (I mean, in general--gaming, video encoding, Web surfing, numerical simulations, SETI@Home, etc.)

Last edited by Mike Richichi : 09-04-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Drewid

It does sound like a thermal issue to me, I was working on a computer earlier today which just randomly shut off whenever the person would rip a cd. There was no blue screen and now warning, just shut off. I checked using our temperature meter program and it was spiking in the 90s (celcius!).

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 09-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Drewid

An external hard drive is a very good idea, I've suggested it to many of my friends. In addition to automatically syncing your documents and mp3s, you can take an image backup of the hard drive so you can "reimage" the computer at your whim. Of course such things would never be supported by the CNS Helpdesk and are done at your own risk.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 09-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Justin M. Giza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
Three random questions:

1) When you say it "lives in the case" what do you mean by that?
2) When you say you "don't pour root beer into [your] keyboard on a regular basis", how often would you say that you do pour root beer in it?
3) What do you do with your machine, and for about how many hours a day? (I mean, in general--gaming, video encoding, Web surfing, numerical simulations, SETI@Home, etc.)

1) By "lives in the case," I mean I don't recklessly transport the thing. It stays on the desk all day, unless I need to put it on sleep mode to take it to class. Sorry for the lack of clarification.
2) Typically I use Dr. Pepper. Root Beer just doesn't leave the same delicious aroma.
3) To be honest, the machine stays on for most of the day. It probably averages about an hour or two of 3D gaming (World of Warcraft), and the rest of the time is just spent web-surfing. I'm not doing anything too hardcore outside of that. A lot of mp3's on there, but... that's about it. Perhaps I'm just disillusioned by desktops, but I have a desktop that's been running on a pretty similar schedule for close to 6 years now, without any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fizzle
An external hard drive is a very good idea...

I agree wholeheartedly. I actually went and picked up a 200 gig one just before I came here, so I was thankfully able to back everything up before the disasters.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin P. Egan
It does sound like a thermal issue to me, I was working on a computer earlier today which just randomly shut off whenever the person would rip a cd. There was no blue screen and now warning, just shut off. I checked using our temperature meter program and it was spiking in the 90s (celcius!).

Geez -- they do get hot with those CD-ROM drives going full-bore (feel how hot the disks get when you take them out), but that seems excessive.

Justin - two questions - on my R40, I notice the fan going on and off. Do you notice yours changing? Does it come on at all? Or is it on all the time?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Justin M. Giza

Yeah, I haven't noticed any real fan issues... it tends to go on and off depending on how the machine needs it, from what I can tell. I ran a temp check on it, and it never really went much higher than 52C.

It likely would go higher while gaming or something more intensive, but my machine kept shutting down before it would give me a chance to check it out. During its better days, I'd notice a significant increase in fan speed during gaming, informing me that everything was more than likely going smooth like butter on a roll.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Justin M. Giza

Well, last night I excitedly returned my loaner, and retrieved my computer which received a CPU fan cleaning. They also happened to find a screw sitting on the mainboard (how that occurred is beyond me - I never look at the damn thing). I was told that it was given a stress test, left on overnight, and everything was dreamy.

I returned to my room, plugged everything in, and hit power.

We are go. T-Minus 3... 2... 1... and shut-down.

I try again. After about 2-3 minutes of moving shuffling between AC and battery power, it manages to power on. This time the computer manages to last the night. I wake up this morning, and take my computer to class. My good friend refuses to come out of sleep mode for several minutes, in a similar fashion as before.

I sat there, perplexed as to what could possibly be different in this situation.

Now, as I checked in my computer, I removed a gig of RAM I had purchased on my own for use in the loaner (the good folks at CNS informed me this was fine), so I assume that, in a normal world, this could absolutely be the cause, if it suddenly after working properly for a year, starting somehow pulling too much power and the laptop got angry.

However.

I put the RAM in the loaner, and the loaner ran everything without any hassles or problems. So... if the RAM is indeed the cause, the problem lies in my computer's ability to utilize it - not in the RAM itself.

So... guess I get to hand this thing in. Again.

I'm going to test without the RAM this afternoon and see if I note any differences. In the meantime... can anyone offer me any other testing options? I kind of miss my buddy.

Love,
Me.

EDIT: Funny story. As I clicked "submit" for this entry... my PC shut down. Trillian Messenger was the only other program running. Thank god for the speed of technology. ;D

EDIT MACH-2, 11:05am: I removed my 512 chip, and moved my gig over to the other slot. After yet more hassles in powering on my computer (I'm wondering if CNS may have forgotten to test this part of my problem... hey, oversights happen), I got it up and kicking. I'm running some 3D software, and thus far, no problems have been had. I did notice some bizarro 3D rendering glitches though. Going to let this run for a little bit, and see if it forces another shut-down. At this point, the computer is running fine, but still experiencing the exact same Sleep Mode... or rather, "Turning-on-the-damn-computer-or-using-the-power-button" problems as before. I'll check back in if anything else goes awry.

EDIT 3, 12pm: Well, it just died. Whatever tests CNS ran, I'm not sure they were the right ones. Going to try it with just the 512 chip, and see if I notice any difference. My highly intelligent educated guess is: no.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 09-11-2006 at 12:05 PM.