Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Junior Drewid

Default non-Lenovo replacement battery?

I need a new battery for my T400. Drew wants 95.00, which seems about average for Lenovo-brand batteries.

I found some for about half that price in amazon (and other places). I presume they're not Lenovo brand batteries. Does anyone have experience with these? Results? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Squirrel

Default battery

i've tried going that route and purchasing a battery through amazon for about 60. it lasted even shorter than the original lenovo battery did. i even adjusted the settings so that it wouldn't overcharge (supposedly intended to increase battery life) and it still died extremely quickly. i wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Deanna's experience is an important cautionary tale. The basic answer is you don't really know. If a battery costs $50 it's likely to be made out of lower-quality battery cells, assembled less carefully, and have inferior battery electronics. If the battery explodes or otherwise damages your computer, it may make it harder to get ThinkPad protection (although we've had no incidents of this happening to my knowledge.)

You may be able to find a non-OEM battery that is quality made and saves you money from the Lenovo battery, but you'd have to know a lot about the battery manufacturer to feel good about it. I wouldn't even consider a battery without a one year warranty, for instance. The Lenovo battery will come with a new one year warranty and you are guaranteed it will be supported if anything goes wrong with it and damages your computer. And $95 seems a very competitive price for the Lenovo battery from what I've seen. BTW, we have no problem with you buying an official Lenovo battery from somewhere else for less money--we're not making any money off of these, just directly passing on our pricing.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Squirrel

Most of those "cheap" batteries are chinese made(like most, but even cheaper!) and dont offer protection from power surges, overcharging, and some wont even supply the right line level signal(incorrect sine wave, etc) so your best bet is to buy a certified one, especially since it comes with a one year warranty.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Junior Drewid

Thank you all.