Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Marla B. Rosenfeld

Default Printer/Cruise

Hey all, I thought I read somewhere thatwe get a printer package with our computer purchase? What's the deal?

How many of you are going on the cruise to NY? I know I am.

p.s.-isn't everyone getting so excited, 1 month to go!!
Old 07-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Meggaly Y. Portillo

i don't know about the printers but I'm definitely going on the cruise!! It sounds really fun
Old 07-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla B. Rosenfeld
Hey all, I thought I read somewhere thatwe get a printer package with our computer purchase? What's the deal?

How many of you are going on the cruise to NY? I know I am.

p.s.-isn't everyone getting so excited, 1 month to go!!

No, you do not get a printer from Drew (they used to give out printer, but they are so cheap now a days and there is no need to standardize them).

Last edited by Gary A. Hochman : 08-01-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:11 AM

Default Did you mean printers or computers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
No, you do not get a computer from Drew (they used to give out computers, but they are so cheap now a days and there is no need to standardize them).

Huh? A computer is required for the class of 2009, and it's assumed that incoming students are going to have the Drew-supplied system. That's why you have to apply for an exception. Incoming students should read about the student computers here.

We don't give out printers in the package any longer. I'm hoping you meant printers and not computers. Printers are cheap at this point, since the inkjet ink is expensive. Laser printer toner is cheaper per page, and low-end b&w laser printers are pretty cheap as well these days. We've noticed a high failure rate on student inkjet printers - if they aren't used often the nozzles gum up, the printers fill with dust and other debris (beverages, food crumbs, q-tips, bits of paper, etc.), so whatever you buy, the best advice I can give you is keep your printer covered or out of harm's way, and try to use it at least once every week or two, even if it's just for a page or so.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Coen
Huh? A computer is required for the class of 2009, and it's assumed that incoming students are going to have the Drew-supplied system. That's why you have to apply for an exception. Incoming students should read about the student computers here.

We don't give out printers in the package any longer. I'm hoping you meant printers and not computers. Printers are cheap at this point, since the inkjet ink is expensive. Laser printer toner is cheaper per page, and low-end b&w laser printers are pretty cheap as well these days. We've noticed a high failure rate on student inkjet printers - if they aren't used often the nozzles gum up, the printers fill with dust and other debris (beverages, food crumbs, q-tips, bits of paper, etc.), so whatever you buy, the best advice I can give you is keep your printer covered or out of harm's way, and try to use it at least once every week or two, even if it's just for a page or so.

Errr...oops, yes printers were what I meant, not computers.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:55 AM

The HP LaserJet 1020 is about $180 and would meet the printing needs of any student. It's only monochrome, but I've found that I don't do a lot of color printing at home. If I want a color photo I'll go to CVS and get digital prints there. At 29 cents for a 4x6 that's cheaper than supplies if I do it at home, and that's without the cost of an expensive, quirky color printer. If you need color the CNS Helpdesk has a color laser printer that costs $1/page. It's not going to do glossy photos but would be sufficient for color pictures in a paper, say.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
If you need color the CNS Helpdesk has a color laser printer that costs $1/page. It's not going to do glossy photos but would be sufficient for color pictures in a paper, say.

$1/page for color, on the 4600? DId the prices go up? But the CNS color printouts are nice quality and really quick if time is a factor. There is also a color photoprinter available at CNS but it costs per page. But the quality is very good.

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM

I guess I'm wrong on the price. I forgot we lowered it. its $0.25/page. What a bargain!
Old 08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Morgan E. Edwards

Default Printers?

Woudl it be at all possible for roomates to share a printer? Is it possible to hook two laptops up to the same printer, not at the same time of course. Just wondering, it could save some money.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

yeah, you can use a printer with multiple computers. The only thing is, you'd have to agree on who pays for ink, paper, and who keeps it at the end of the year. What if someone does a lot more printing than the other person? That would really make the situation sticky.