Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Justin M. Giza

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J. Wilson
Can you try it again in the Arts building green room when you have the opportunity? I'm not sure offhand how many network jacks are in there, but try another one if you can. I could see if there were maybe something about the student network having more of a lag, because it runs through a separate router than the rest of campus. On the other hand, none of the ports in the Arts building go through the student router, and they should be all working the same way.

If you can bring your laptop with World of Warcraft down to my office this week (give me a call first), we can try putting you into a classroom port and then into a student port to see if there's any noticeable difference. Even though it would be in BC, the packets would still have to travel the same path as they would from your dorm.

I'd be happy to. I'll give you a buzz sometime monday-ish.

I actually tried it on four separate jacks within that one classroom, all with the same results. I tested it on a jack within the green room, and a jack within the lobby, with bad results.

I suppose we can give it a shot or something.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 11-13-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Matthew H. Long

To add on to Justin's findings with world of warcraft, I get the same bad lag in the game as he does when im playing from my dorm, but when im in other buildings such as the UC, my internet connection is much faster so I tend to get roughly 80ms.

hope that helps any.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 AM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

Why does bittorrent only get 1.5kb/sec on my machine? Is that the cap?

I don't even stress this network one bit. I remotely connect to my home cable connection and get the files sent there.

But sometimes I don't want to have to wait for the files to be burnt to DVD or something from my home comp. Sometimes I'd actually like to download a file on this network!!!

Bittorrent/Guild Wars, I am getting nothing from these programs. Where is the speed? 1.5kb/sec on bittorrent is worse then 56k!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
As for Kingdom of Loathing, it's slow most of the day anyhow. The lag from that game isn't due to on-campus lag, it's because Kingdom of Loathing has far too much traffic and not enough bandwidth. Jick is setting up new servers, which'll (hopefully) be up in a month or two.
Hopefully he won't zap a major part of the DB this time, or would at least restore backups if he does do that again.

the Enterprise Technology Center
Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Justin M. Giza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell W. Sprague
Hopefully he won't zap a major part of the DB this time, or would at least restore backups if he does do that again.

All too true. But hey, if he does mess up, we may get more "Sorry, Jick screwed up" goodies.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell W. Sprague

As I recall, he's going to be doing more backups now, so in case the DB does go down, he's got a more recent backup.

Or maybe he'll just remember to back stuff up before messing around with things. That might work better.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

I am getting horrific lag on Guild Wars this monday night. This is getting very tiresome. I am not downloading anything, I just want to play a game that a 56k modem can handle!

This is getting ridiculous. An edu connection should never be worse then a 56k connection, period.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Justin M. Giza

Thom, I'm heading into David Wilson's office tomorrow to test a few things. Anything that applies for World of Warcraft should theoretically apply to Guild Wars as well.

I'll let you know what we find out. Or he'll let you know in better detail than I can probably give you.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
Thom, I'm heading into David Wilson's office tomorrow to test a few things. Anything that applies for World of Warcraft should theoretically apply to Guild Wars as well.

I'll let you know what we find out. Or he'll let you know in better detail than I can probably give you.
Ideally a few people would test the connections out at the same time, so maybe Justin can have some trusty allies in different spots around campus when he visits.

Dave, would this make sense?

(I'd help myself, but I don't play WoW. Let me know though, because I'll be in the office through most of the late afternoon-evening and will download a (Mac) version, if that'll help.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
As I recall, he's going to be doing more backups now, so in case the DB does go down, he's got a more recent backup.

Or maybe he'll just remember to back stuff up before messing around with things. That might work better.

Yeah, and many of us heard that song and dance Black Sunday.

the Enterprise Technology Center