Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Justin M. Giza

The past day or so, I've been doing some data collection using a trace-route program to try and test out the connection to World of Warcraft (which, from the sounds of it, reacts similarly to other games and programs on campus), to see exactly where the trip-ups in the network are occurring (as requested by David Wilson).

Here are a few graphs I saved that illustrate what is going on here. The first displays a connection from the arts center...

And these two display a connection from my room, connected to the Eredar realm on World of Warcraft.

The first five numbers (hops), to the best of my knowledge, indicate the Drew connection that I was routing through. The AVG and the CUR displays the average time it takes to talk to the server. Note that the AVG is actually quite low. It should also be noted that the final Hop, #17, despite its "Destination unreachable" message, connected just fine anyhow. Don't know what that means. Anyhow, here's where things get weird.

Throughout the whole of the top graph, connected to a classroom in the arts center, I maintained a perfect connection. I don't recall once getting a Packet Loss error, noted not only by the red bars on the top-right of the graph, but by the ERR message under the CUR column (which indicates your current connection status, which is then figured into the AVG column).

However, the bottom two, the data collected while connected within my room, both show INCREDIBLE amounts of data packet loss. The AVG remains low because... well... when there's no number to average in, it's hard to figure into the total.

I tested this data in a few other places, all with similar results. I have tested in Hurst and Tolley, the arts center (Theatre and Music wings) and the Library. I also tested on several other realms (all of which go through different IP addresses) on World of Warcraft. Tried servers with all populations, both low and high. No difference.

I went and talked to Chris in networking to see what he thought of it, and he said he'd pass it along to Dave (who asked me to collect this data in the first place).

So... they're doing what they can, folks. Hopefully this data I put together will help alleviate some things.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 11-15-2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Junior Drewid

Justin,

It's a bit hard to see, but I think what you're getting there is the server won't respond to the trace packets, so you get no response from it that way, even though you can play on it.

OTOH, if I read it correctly (I use WhatRoute on the Mac), you're getting some significant packet loss from your room (the %-ages superimposed on the bars on the right and indicated by the pink bars), but none in the arts bldg (which completely lacks the pink bars). You cut off the window on the right, I think, but from what I can tell, you're getting something like half of the packets lost at each Drew jump from your room.

From my office right now (4pm Tuesday), I get no lost packets, and lose the trace at the same server.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Justin M. Giza

I actually didn't cut off anything... that's the full window displayed there. But yes, the bars show the average packets lost.

Quote:
OTOH, if I read it correctly (I use WhatRoute on the Mac), you're getting some significant packet loss from your room (the %-ages superimposed on the bars on the right and indicated by the pink bars), but none in the arts bldg (which completely lacks the pink bars). You cut off the window on the right, I think, but from what I can tell, you're getting something like half of the packets lost at each Drew jump from your room.

And yes, that's what it looks like. I just can't think of an explanation - most likely 'cause this isn't my field of expertise.

As for losing the trace there... I dunno. I was connected to the game at the time. When I wasn't, it still lost the trace at Hop 17 anyhow. I guess... that's just how they prevent traces from hitting their server? Not sure.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Giza
I guess... that's just how they prevent traces from hitting their server? Not sure.
Well, at least they prevent the server from replying.

(From the map on WhatRoute it looks like the server is down in San Diego, or maybe even Mexico. Interesting.)

That packet loss is really high. Are the dorm servers swamped, or maybe this is part of the "shaping" (though I thought that took place further upstream)?
Old 11-15-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
Well, at least they prevent the server from replying.

(From the map on WhatRoute it looks like the server is down in San Diego, or maybe even Mexico. Interesting.)

That packet loss is really high. Are the dorm servers swamped, or maybe this is part of the "shaping" (though I thought that took place further upstream)?
Actually, there are really only two hops (that are visible to a traceroute--there's some more devices in there that you can't see) between the dorm and the internet gateway. The first hop is not showing any packet loss. The second hop is the internet router (located in LC).

I'd be curious what you would get if you try hitting 192.107.39.6 (www.drew.edu) or 192.107.39.88 (one of the IP addresses used by our NetWare cluster). I would hope you would see 0% packet loss to either of these IP addresses from anywhere on campus. That still doesn't explain why you are seeing that much loss hitting the Internet, however.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 11-15-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Justin M. Giza

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
Actually, there are really only two hops (that are visible to a traceroute--there's some more devices in there that you can't see) between the dorm and the internet gateway. The first hop is not showing any packet loss. The second hop is the internet router (located in LC).

I'd be curious what you would get if you try hitting 192.107.39.6 (www.drew.edu) or 192.107.39.88 (one of the IP addresses used by our NetWare cluster). I would hope you would see 0% packet loss to either of these IP addresses from anywhere on campus. That still doesn't explain why you are seeing that much loss hitting the Internet, however.

Both read as a perfect connection - 0-1 AVG. On-campus content comes out fine.

EDIT: Well, not perfect. But really darn good! Jumped high as 35 on the CUR table, which would still be nigh unnoticable. There was no packet loss, however.

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 11-15-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:26 PM
Thomas G. DiLemmo

Default Cable or DSL replacement

I can't take the network speed anymore. I can't play Guild Wars, a game that a 56k modem can handle!

Is there a way to get a Cable or DSL modem on campus with service? Cable is probably not possible because we use a DTV route system but maybe a DSL?

I just want to be able to do simple tasks, not HTML related, such as play Guild Wars and use PCAnywhere. It is not possible anytime of the day, even at 4AM!!!

Any advice would help. But things are bad enough that I would pay $30 a month to get a DSL modem. It would probably be cheaper then taking a month's supply of Asprin to abstain from these network headaches.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. DiLemmo
I can't take the network speed anymore. I can't play Guild Wars, a game that a 56k modem can handle!

Is there a way to get a Cable or DSL modem on campus with service? Cable is probably not possible because we use a DTV route system but maybe a DSL?

I just want to be able to do simple tasks, not HTML related, such as play Guild Wars and use PCAnywhere. It is not possible anytime of the day, even at 4AM!!!

Any advice would help. But things are bad enough that I would pay $30 a month to get a DSL modem. It would probably be cheaper then taking a month's supply of Asprin to abstain from these network headaches.

Hah. Hah. Hah.

So let me tell you a little story about my experience trying to get cable or DSL around here...

oh wait....thats right, it hasn't happend yet,

(I should mention that I've been trying to get cable since mid July)

so regardless of the fact that I doubt you can do such a think on campus, cable vision sucks.

/Rant
Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. DiLemmo

You couldn't get a DSL in your room. The demaraction point for all of Verizon's service to the campus is in the front of campus. Verizon won't run service to your dorm room.

If there was a need for a DSL drop somewhere on campus, it would have to be business class DSL (because we're a University). Verizon would terminate is on the front side of campus, and Drew would have to supply the copper back to the location where the DSL was to be deployed.

Also, why are you using PCAnywhere and not Windows Remote Desktop? RDP is much more efficent with bandwidth usage and doesn't have the screen refresh issues that PCAnywhere tends to.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
Hah. Hah. Hah.

So let me tell you a little story about my experience trying to get cable or DSL around here...

oh wait....thats right, it hasn't happend yet,

(I should mention that I've been trying to get cable since mid July)

so regardless of the fact that I doubt you can do such a think on campus, cable vision sucks.

/Rant
Really? In Madison? I'm on Main Street and had no issue getting Optimum Online set up on day 1 when I moved in back in 2002.

As far as broadband providers in the area, Optimum Online really does offer the best speed.