Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Matthew T. Pierce
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
Before 2005, we provided printers as part of the package, but we changed that when it became a separate charge. You may have found some materials that hadn't been updated--or date from before the change.

We do have pay for printing in the library and in the CNS Helpdesk, but many students bring their own printers. We used to get low-cost HP inkjet printers for the students, and they're still cheap although you spend a lot on ink, and we had lots of problems with them breaking down, and it's cheaper to throw them out and get a new one than fixing them. This is just personal opinion and not official policy, but I'd suggest something like the HP LaserJet 1020 (it's a laser printer, black and white, costs a little more initially but you'll save tons on ink since the toner cartridge is good for thousands of pages) or perhaps a multifunction printer/scanner. If you're going to print a lot of photos you might want a 4x6 photo printer as well(although it's cheaper to go to a drugstore or Staples if you can--unfortunately the CVS in Madison closed last year). Basically, any printer that can print black text on 8.5"x11" pages will likely meet your academic needs. You also may want to coordinate with your roommate and only bring one printer, or bring different function ones and split paper and ink/toner.

Some professors are accepting assignments electronically too, nowadays, but you have to ask their policy (many still want printed copies to grade, and they don't want to bear the cost of printing.)

Inkjet printers are also very nice if you want color, though to save ink and money, make sure you print your reports and drafts in black & white mode.

Here is a list of inkjet printers sorted by price:
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...buteName=Price
(It's from Staples since that's a store that's extremely close to campus.)

And here is a list of laser printers sorted by price:
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...buteName=Price
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I know that Drew gets us a good deal on the computers, and you can't argure with the service. However, You can't reason with lifelong mac users when their platform gets sucked out from under them. I had a mac plus. It wasn't the original, but it was the beige, one piece, 9.5 inch b&w screen. I teethed on the phone cord we had for our PRODIGY internet connxn. Since then, I haven't turned back. I've probably still got fiberoptic bits floating around my bloodstream from that cord... The only reason that I'm using my Drew laptop this summer is because my mac mini has no wireless card in it... so no internet :-(>

Don't worry macusers, stay strong, and ye shall adjust

BTW, everyone on campus has APPLE iPods. So take that, IBM Microsoft Lenovo thinkpad whatever-it-is!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Jacqueline DiLorenzo
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
And I think it would be a great idea if Drew scholarships covered the cost of computers, or some/more of that $50,000 tuition (which has not inflated proportionally, and we all know that) was applied to reducing the cost of computers we have no choice in buying. Think about it, (this is not my case) a middle class, well educated and bright student with tons of promise, both parents working, two siblings, who is already on scholarship, still pulling out loans, trying to make the best out of college, is not going to be happy-go-lucky about buying a $2,000 computer when there are much cheaper ones on the market.

I disagree.

My scholarship is renewable each year. If part of it covered the laptop, the grant would go down by $2000 to cover the computer. Unless they were to increase the scholarship for sophomore through senior year, I'd be losing aid because they lessened the amount the first time to pay for the computer. Additionally, it was said earlier that the computer costs the amount is costs because it is worth that much, it will last us beyond college, and is covered for accidental damage, etc. I'm not too peeved about the price because I honestly don't feel that Drew is ripping us off, even though the tuition is extremely high compared to other colleges.

If that makes any sense...


* also -- the academic scholarships, I believe, are granted regardless of income.

Last edited by Jacqueline DiLorenzo : 08-03-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Dia O'Neil
 
Posts: n/a
Default

heh, you know, i hate to stir the pot, but up until last year computers AND printers WERE provided as part of the tuition package [to the best of my knowledge at least - i never had to pay extra for it or anything, we just got them]. granted my printer is completely toasted and i am only saving it so that i can take a hammer to it on woco patio at the end of the semester, but at least we got one.

also, printing used to be free up until last semester my ex printed her entire thesis in the library. heh.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Paul R. Coen's Avatar
Paul R. Coen Paul R. Coen is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Madison, NJ
Posts: 140
Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
heh, you know, i hate to stir the pot, but up until last year computers AND printers WERE provided as part of the tuition package

also, printing used to be free up until last semester my ex printed her entire thesis in the library. heh.

Yup - now, I suspect we would have changed the printer situation anyway, since they don't last long (as you noticed). I'll stay away from giving my opinion of the change to the program and how that was handled at this point in time.

Looking at it one way, library printing wasn't free, it just wasn't being charged for. The library was closing in on spending $20,000 a year on materials and printers or printer maintenance - and it had grown rapidly, with little sign of slowing. It was eating into money the library needed for other things - like having public machines that were reasonably up-to-date, or other library resources or services. The question isn't whether to spend the money, it's whether to spend the money on one thing or another. Trust me - budgets are tight enough to mean that there are opportunity costs to every decision.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Matthew Ogonowski
 
Posts: n/a
Default

you know i was thinkin' about getting an iBook just because i heard that Macs are amazing for recording and storing your own music.

how well do you think these drew computers would support recording software and recording music and stuff? just wondering.

ps. I feel everybody on the whole printer thing. DEATH TO PRINTING FEES! let's start a protest rally, that'll really get the class of 2010 united lol.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Kevin P. Egan's Avatar
Kevin P. Egan Kevin P. Egan is offline
Drewid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ogonowski
you know i was thinkin' about getting an iBook just because i heard that Macs are amazing for recording and storing your own music.

how well do you think these drew computers would support recording software and recording music and stuff? just wondering.

ps. I feel everybody on the whole printer thing. DEATH TO PRINTING FEES! let's start a protest rally, that'll really get the class of 2010 united lol.


Just about any computer with a microphone jack will support basic recording through a mic (and yes the laptops do have the jack). If you want high end recording, you might need to buy some extra equipment to facilitate better quality recording. As for which is better, I have no idea, it's your money, read reviews and spend it wisely. But the Drew laptops will certainly support recording through the mic in jack.

And about the printing comment, with the new printing system in place in the library to allow people to pay for the material before it is printed, I dont think you're going to get very far with your rally. But the campus has been stirred up by things in the past, so who knows.....
__________________
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
Be Touched

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

Last edited by Kevin P. Egan : 08-04-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Shedlock
However, You can't reason with lifelong mac users when their platform gets sucked out from under them.

Yeah, but basically it works out this way: Microsoft, for better or worse, is the OS and office suite used by corporations and businesses.

And Jessica, I find it interesting that you claim $2000 is a lot to pay for a laptop, but would prefer a mac. MacBook Pro (since the IBM/Lenovo laptops are business-class) start at $2000, with less RAM, a worse screen, and only a one-year warranty with 90 days of support. Yes, less virii are written for Macs. However, Microsoft (as I mentioned above) is the corporate standard. In the "real world" (which Drew prepares you for, even if you're tired of hearing that), you will almost definitely use Windows. There are other reasons, but I'm not going to go into them all here.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Dia O'Neil
 
Posts: n/a
Default

now, this doesn't necessarily represent my own opinion but...

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513

...i couldn't help but laugh. a lot.

i hate those commercials.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Mike Richichi's Avatar
Mike Richichi Mike Richichi is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chatham, NJ
Posts: 220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
It does have that OS X going for it though.

A bunch of us actually have Macs at Drew, so don't feel left out, if that's your preferred platform.

John Muccigrosso
Chair, Department of Classics

I only have one thing to say about that:



(Warning: This is illegal. Clearly illegal. This is not my ThinkPad. It's from France.)
__________________
--Mike Richichi
Director of Computing and Network Services
http://depts.drew.edu/cns/
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.5.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Drew University is not responsible for the content of posts made on this site. All posts and comments reflect the opinion of the author.