Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2007, 03:28 AM

Default GroupWise Mobile Server - Device support

This thread is here for people to post success/failure stories and tips and tricks getting different models of smart phone and PDA working with the just announced GroupWise Mobile Server.

I'll start the thread off by saying that I have personally tested the following with GMS:
  • Palm Treo 600 (Palm OS)
  • Samsung BlackJack (Windows Mobile 5)
I also know others in University Technology have successfully set up GMS with the following:
  • Palm Treo 650 (Palm OS)
  • Palm Tungsten C (Palm OS)
  • T-Mobile MDA (Windows Mobile)
Please share your experiences with various types of phone and PDA by replying to this thread!

Thanks!

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 05-09-2007 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Samsung BlackJack Tip

A tip for using GMS on the Samsung BlackJack. This tip may very well apply to other Windows Mobile based devices as well.

After installing the IntelliSync software on my BlackJack, I found that it had replaced the default home screen with a special IntelliSync version with quick access to the various features of the Mobile Server. While this certainly is convenient for access to wireless email, it was a bit jarring and the colors didn't mesh well with the default Samsung background image, making it difficult to read.

Here's how to revert to your device's regular home screen if you don't like the IntelliSync one:

Go to the Start menu on the phone > Settings > Display > Home Screen

Under Home Screen Layout, select the default home screen layout (usually provided by your cellular carrier -- in my case, it was named "Cingular Default"). The IntelliSync one is called "SyncMail".
Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Matthew T. Pierce

Darn! The one day I left my Palm Tungsten at home. I'll have to let you know tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 AM
Matthew J. Mergen

I'm getting an "Information Alert" Status: 500 Internal Server Error when I try to authenticate at https://gwmobile.drew.edu/ on my Palm Tungstun C. Also having trouble with wireless on campus, but fine at home. Could this be due to the browser on my device?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew J. Mergen
I'm getting an "Information Alert" Status: 500 Internal Server Error when I try to authenticate at https://gwmobile.drew.edu/ on my Palm Tungstun C. Also having trouble with wireless on campus, but fine at home. Could this be due to the browser on my device?
Could be the browser on the device. The gwmobile.drew.edu site is intended to be used with a PC browser. For getting the Mobile Server set up on a device with wireless access, there are two ways to do it:

1. Go to gwmobile.drew.edu from a PC, follow the wizard, and download the software from there. For Palm based devices, it will install via the HotSync Manager on your PC just like other Palm apps (and also installs a HotSync conduit for syncing when you have the device in the cradle--but will still be able to use a wireless connection when it is not).

2. For a direct install from the device, use the device browser to go to http://gms.drew.edu/install/ and follow the prompts.

I agree it should probably offer a more useful message if you hit gwmobile.drew.edu directly from the device browser. I'll look into why it is just offering the Internal Server Error.

Last edited by E. Axel Larsson : 05-10-2007 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Matthew T. Pierce

Okay, looks like I'm stuck too. Got the client installed and running on a Palm Tungsten C, but it hangs when trying to negotiate security protocol, then gives up on the sync.

EDIT: Solution (sort of) ... Inetllisync doesn't initialize the Palm's network connection, so you have to do it either by using the web browser, then returning to home and using the groupwise stuff, or you can do it through the WiFi prefs panel.

Last edited by Matthew T. Pierce : 05-10-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Matthew J. Mergen

I was able to install the program over wireless at the install link that Axel provided above. Thanks.

I've only tried this off campus so far, but it seems to be working fine.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:47 AM

Default FFAQs (or anticipated FAQs)

Q: How do I get my GW address book synced (or how do I pick which GW address books I want on my device)?

A: From a PC browser (I don't know of any way to do this on the device itself) go to https://gwmobile.drew.edu/. Below the list of devices enabled on your account, click Pick Contacts to Sync. Choose Sync only contacts in these categories and then check the GW address books you want.

Q: How do I choose what mail folders to sync?

A: From a PC browser go to https://gwmobile.drew.edu/. At the bottom of the screen where it shows Server Connections, choose Pick folders to sync.

Q: How do I set up a cell phone to receive text messaging alerts?

A: When using the wizard at gwmobile.drew.edu to first set up your Mobile Server account, select Don't Install Now on the list of devices. At that point, you can select Add Alert Device from the settings screen. To select which messages trigger an alert, select Alert settings below the list of devices that are set up for your account.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Young Squirrel

Default Blackjack bluetooth (only) sync

Hi Axel:

Thanks for the very useful thread!

I have a Samsung Blackjack, and have gotten it working with the Groupwise Mobile server. However, I don't really need to have syncing from the server, and am cheap enough to want to avoid the data charges from ATT.

Is there a way to have my Blackjack sync with my laptop via Bluetooth only? In essence, I would like to treat the Blackjack like an non-wireless PDA, and have it sync with Groupwise on my laptop. Whenever I try to sync with Intellisync, it seems to me that it forces a connection to the server.

Many thanks for any help.

Best,

Patrick Phillips
English Dept.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick G. Phillips
Hi Axel:

Thanks for the very useful thread!

I have a Samsung Blackjack, and have gotten it working with the Groupwise Mobile server. However, I don't really need to have syncing from the server, and am cheap enough to want to avoid the data charges from ATT.

Is there a way to have my Blackjack sync with my laptop via Bluetooth only? In essence, I would like to treat the Blackjack like an non-wireless PDA, and have it sync with Groupwise on my laptop. Whenever I try to sync with Intellisync, it seems to me that it forces a connection to the server.

Many thanks for any help.

Best,

Patrick Phillips
English Dept.
No matter which method you are using it is still going to be the device connecting to the server directly over the network. However, when the blackjack is connected to the destkop using the ActiveSync software it came with, network communications should be going through ActiveSync and using your desktop's network connection rather than the cellular network.

So you should be able to dock the phone to your desktop and then manually fire off the sync from the device, unless AT&T has done something odd to the configuration of the Blackjack. In Intellisync Options on the device itsel,f there is a menu named "Connection" that lets you pick one of the connection profiles that were set up on the device. The default one "The Internet" should automatically switch between the cellular networks and your desktop when you connect, but the way those are set up depends upon what the wireles carrier did. You may have to do some experimenting...