Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Squirrel

Default Alumni Email

Does the transition to google apps mean we will continue to have a Drew email address post graduation? I know many colleges that use Google apps do this. From what I understand the cost is minimal.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Squirrel

Default Post Graduation Email Accounts

Hi Kris,

Thank you for the question. We are looking at this issue as a part of the overall transition to Google, but we don't yet have an answer.

We will announce this as soon as a decision has been reached!

Thanks,
Gamin
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Young Squirrel

Default G-Mail Client?

Will there be a g-mail client to set up on individual campus and off-campus computers to access mail and calendar, or will we have to go through a browser?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 PM

You can use other clients like Thunderbird to access your mail. There are ways to do the calendar but we haven't really tested them yet (like the Outlook integration Google makes.) Most people who use Gmail use the web interface and the mobile device access.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Young Squirrel

I use GroupWise mail archives. Do I need to "unarchive" them in order to migrate them to gmail?

If I keep the desktop GroupWise program on my computer could I continue to use it to access my archived items?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Timmons
I use GroupWise mail archives. Do I need to "unarchive" them in order to migrate them to gmail?

If I keep the desktop GroupWise program on my computer could I continue to use it to access my archived items?
Hi Robin,

The tool we are using to migrate mail does support GroupWise archives. Once migration of all of the online mail is complete, we will announce how to get your archives over. It will require some human intervention since we need to get the archives copied to a central location and then point the migration tool at them, so likely the procedure will involve creating a helpdesk ticket and then copying your archive folder up to a network share somewhere.

You can use your local copy of GroupWise to access your archives as long as GroupWise can access your online mailbox. You can do that for as long as our GroupWise system is up, which will be at least through September. To maintain access for longer, you should set your local GroupWise client into Caching mode so it has a local copy of your online mailbox + your archive.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Young Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
Yes, folders will be converted to labels.

Gmail supports hierarchical labels, and when using IMAP or ActiveSync, they show up as nested folders just as you'd expect. So Google has found a way to give us folders but still stubbornly insists on not admitting that they've given us folders.

Not all of my subfolders showed up in gmail after the transfer.
For example:
In my "Cabinet" folder, all of my GroupWise "Cabinet" sub-folders are listed, but the contents of sub-folders within them are not there. I have a folder under "Cabinet" labeled "Courses" which does show up (with a triangle pointer) as well as any emails I had directly in that folder. However, the sub-folders of "Courses" for each individual course and the emails contained in those sub-folders are not showing up in gmail.

This is not a problem for me as I will cache my GroupWise emails but this may help for other individuals who are not seeing all of their email.

Edit: OK - I think the emails did transfer but the labels are not listed in the left-hand column (even though the individual emails have the correct label)

Last edited by Robin Timmons : 06-02-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Would it be possible to stop by so we can see what you are seeing? It looks from an administrative standpoint that there is a Courses label with three sublabels underneath it but we cannot see how they actually appear in gmail without getting into the account.