Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Young Squirrel

Default Carbon Monoxide Alarms

For anyone who lives in the dorms, I would suggest checking the expiration date of your carbon monoxide alarm. I live in Foster, and after our neighbors alarm went off, as well as the one in the laundry room, they decided to check it. Well, the alarm had expired in 2000, and black permanent marker had been drawn over the date, in an attempt to cover it up. So for 13 years someone could have died.

We alerted facilities and they came to change all of the CO alarms in our suite.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Ranger Cub

In General,, that's an important thing to remember for everyone. I've had arguments with Landlords over expired Fire and CO alarms in the past -- it seems a lot of folks don't realize that they expire (or that many of them are radioactive).

So yes, the important PSA here is when changing the batteries in your alarms next time glance at the expiration date of the alarm, you may be horrified.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Squirrel

The amount of radiation given off by them is negligible and is around the same amount found in ionization smoke detectors (One of the most common types found today).

I do agree though that they should have definitely been checked. I guess the room inspections given by the school are lacking....