Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Sarah E. Kamins

Default F-Prot Version 3 problems

Hi,

I graduated in May of 2008, and I have the R51 ThinkPad laptop. I haven't had many problems recently, but I think I may have gotten a virus. Specifically, Mozilla Firefox keeps crashing. When I tried to do the "updater" on F-Prot, it says "Server returned internal error: This operating system is no longer supported by this version of F-PROT. Please upgrade to F-PROT version 6 or contact Technical Support"

When I went to the website, it said they shut down F-PROT Version 3 earlier then they had intended. Am I now responsible for updating F-PROT, or getting a new anti-virus program? Will Drew help me out since the version wasn't supposed to expire so early? Were Drew students made aware that this was going to happen? It caught me completely off guard, and I guess I thought I was protected longer.

Thanks,
Sarah
Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Young Squirrel

I have been having the same problem and I am a current student who JUST got her computer back after a hard drive crash. Mozilla crashes all the time and I cannot find a way to fix the problem!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Amanda Povinelli

i am having the same problem. Every time i run the program it restarts my computer or blue screens. I am not sure what is going on but it does not work for me at all
Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Squirrel

Default F-Prot

About two weeks ago I went to CNS cause I had (hopefull dont still have) some viruses on my computer...she told me that I needed a new scanning system because F-Prot really doesn't do much. Even the newer versions are outdated... go to AVG.com and download that program. It works a lot better...it's free... and run it with your Spybot on your computer. Together the programs find a lot of junk on your computer and get rid of them. Oh yeah, then delete F-Prot. I'm not joking. It doesn't work. I hope that helps.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:36 AM

Yes, we're in the process of distributing F-Prot 6. Getting anti-virus signature updates for it requires that you install the new version of the Novell Zenworks software, so you need to install that first, then F-Prot 6.

I sent an email message out to faculty and staff a bit more than a week ago with instructions, and I'm going to be sending out one this coming week to students.

Basically, we had the corporate version of F-Prot, but we didn't have a good way to distribute the anti-virus updates. I either had to give up updating with just an internet connection, or I had to worry about annually getting users to take manual steps to plug in a new serial number or it would stop working. I could solve either problem but not both, depending on the variety of F-Prot I used.

So we needed the new Zenworks software (really a completely new product) first. It uses the http protocol to push out updated files, so it'll work as long as your computer can reach Drew via an internet connection. It pushes the anti-virus updates down to a local directory where F-Prot 6 can find them.

But the version of Zenworks that we worked with last spring had some real problems, and there was just no way I could have used it. Those issues have been fixed in the two or three big updates that have occured since, and I'm comfortable with the product at this point. The first reasonable version was the 10.0.3 release that we put on the Vista notebooks, but the 10.1 update that came out just before the start of the semester was a big improvement.

At the beginning of the semester, trying to add all the other student computers to the new Zenworks environment wasn't practical - for one thing, we had gone from 40 to 400+ computers (first year students) in the new Zenworks environment, and we needed to make sure it was handing it. And then there's the support and troubleshooting for installation problems.

Since then, there has been an additional update to Zenworks, and anticipating that, we avoided pushing out the slightly older version that would have required an update almost immediatly. Things are at a good stage right now, and that's why we're moving ahead with telling people about it.

Aside from SPSS 17, we're not going to be adding any new software installers to the old Zenworks Application Explorer, only the new one. It's a totally different piece of software on the back end (what you would see isn't vastly different).

So, again, look for the email message going out later this week. I'll probably post a copy of it here as well.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Sarah E. Kamins

Thanks Paul, for the detailed reply! You mentioned connecting to Drew in your response. Does that mean the update isn't available to students who graduated last year?

If this is the case, what steps should I go through to get my computer completely off the Drew system? When I sent it in for problems over the summer, I thought the Drew system was going to be removed and apparently it wasn't because I still have Novell and it still says Drew at Startup. Do I need to bring it back/send it back to CNS to get it fixed?
(and is there any software that you would recommend off the Drew system?)

Thank you in advance for any information.

Sarah