Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Elder Drewid

Default Cable Services

Does anyone know which company/companies provide the cable services for Madison?

Any thoughts on reliability/cost/etc?

None of the ones that we have in my area also service Jersey....
Old 08-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
Does anyone know which company/companies provide the cable services for Madison?

I believe it is a specially packaged version of DirectTV
Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 PM

The town of Madison is serviced by Cablevision. However, Drew supplies its own cable TV service, for which our source signal is DirecTV. We have about 35 channels, list of them is here.

Advantage? It's included in tuition. Disadvantage? You can't get fancy stuff. I also assume it's a pain with TiVO or other such services. I don't know if they know our channel lineup (anyone?)

Quote:

Old 08-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

Man, I wish we could get the food network. I'm really glad that we have USA so I can watch SVU all day, but the food network is just amazing. Rachael Ray is my favorite. But it's probably considered competition for Aramark..
Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi
The town of Madison is serviced by Cablevision. However, Drew supplies its own cable TV service, for which our source signal is DirecTV. We have about 35 channels, list of them is here.

Advantage? It's included in tuition. Disadvantage? You can't get fancy stuff. I also assume it's a pain with TiVO or other such services. I don't know if they know our channel lineup (anyone?)
Surprising, TiVo actually does know about the Drew cable system, but I'm not sure how up to date it is or where they got that info from.

When I configured my TiVo in my Madison department, Drew University showed up as one of the cable providers after entering the Madison zip code.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Elder Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richichi

Thanks.

Cablevision looks kinda shady....or maybe their webdesign just isn't cool enough.

Any experiences with their service?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Cablevision looks kinda shady....or maybe their webdesign just isn't cool enough.

Any experiences with their service?

Cablevision's wonderful, I've been very happy with them for cable and high-speed internet.

Sure, I don't get BBC America or a few other key channels. But they've been fairly reliable, at least in Rockaway and Hoboken.

the Enterprise Technology Center

Last edited by Russell Sprague : 08-24-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Amanda L. Brennan

I have cablevision in Elizabeth, its fairly good. Their highspeed internet is fantastic.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Cablevision as a company

Cablevision is interesting. I use them at home for high-speed internet -- great service. However, we ran screaming away from them as a cable company more than 3 years ago and went to DirecTV. Cablevision of Morris has a pretty lame channel lineup compared to Cablevision in the northeast part of the state, and DirecTV with local channels and the DVR/TiVo service charge is the same price or less. I think the channel linup dates back to when Cablevision of Morris was owned by Sammons Cable -- honestly one of the worst cable operators in the state. High prices, lousy service -- they had to rerun a huge amount of the cable in the area because the signal quality was too low. They got bought by TKR, which was bought by Cablevision. Anyway, the only things to miss on "local" cable is localized Weather Channel (which I haven't watched since they reported six inches of snow in Providence, RI on a day it hadn't snowed) and "News 12 New Jersey", which is a Star-Ledger owned NJ-only news channel. As you might guess, they repeat themselves a few times an hour. Not much of a loss.

The only thing I missed was "Biker Billy Cooks with Fire" on the public access channel. Not sure if they're still doing the show, but he's got a website - http://www.bikerbilly.com/home.tpl

Of course, if you're a resident student here on campus, all of this is largely an academic question -- Cablevision won't hook up buildings on campus, and you're not going to be able to mount your own dish on a Drew building
Old 09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Young Squirrel

Default fuzzy cable

ummm... I don't know why, but my cable is super fuzzy... anyone know anything about the cable on campus? I'm a transfer.... and I dont have a clue about how things work here yet.....