Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Caitlyn A. Fardella

Default The Commons

seems to be getting worse and worse as time progresses. Where is my 50K + going to anyway?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Mark J. Stratton

I agree, yesterday i walked around for 20 minutes and there was nothing to eat. Not only was there nothing appetizing, but literally all of the salad was gone, all of the pasta and meats! Nothing is getting refilled!! Where are the workers? And then that causes the grille to get way to overcrowded!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Young Squirrel

everyone at the commons should be fired and the food should be thrown out... the staff is horrendous the food is awful....
Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Squirrel

I agree that the food sucks, but I have not had many dealings with the staff, and even less of those have been unpleasant.

This year I have eaten only pizza and cereal, every day for every meal. Those two things are rather hard to mess up, but somehow the pizza is still bad/overcooked. I recently tried switching from my normal, safe diet to the one intended for students to eat (ie. the regular food... like pasta, salad, other vegetables.. etc) and I quickly learned after one attempt that I could not do that because I had not the iron-coated stomach that every one else here has developed and got terrible stomach pains after the meal.

I have been to other schools, cheaper schools, and they have MUCH better cafeterias. The kind that I was excited to return to because the food was... actually good. (and it did not cause me physical harm to eat)
Old 04-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin M. Rothman
I have been to other schools, cheaper schools, and they have MUCH better cafeterias. The kind that I was excited to return to because the food was... actually good. (and it did not cause me physical harm to eat)

Without the need to name other schools, what in your opinion defines the quality of the cafeteria environment and what was it about that food that was better than our food - I mean, seriously, it's all college food that either one of several major food providers are catering. In my own experiences, other colleges had the same food options, different layout, same quality, same meal plans. The Commons is a condensed version of a food court, but maybe a little more shabby in some spots too.
I am in no way defending Drew's food quality or Commons, as there are some nights where even I can't find something to eat (and I say it like that because I am not picky and consider myself to have an iron-stomach). However, I am very curious how you can make a comparison to a shadow school without giving constructive criticism why it's better or how Drew's food could be better.

Last edited by Jordan M. Maslin : 04-23-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Ranger Cub

There's absolutely a difference in food quality between schools and dining services. I've been to schools with far more options, that don't rely on plain rice and pasta + marinara sauce for their primary vegetarian options. For example, to throw out another name, Amherst College (on the instances that I've been there) listed ingredients of their food options. The University of Mary Washington's food is fresh, discernible WHAT it is, and is labeled accurately. Drew also does a shitty job of labeling their food, half the time the labels stay up from lunch to dinner when the food changes - and some of the time they don't even label all dishes that are presented. Sometimes items are labeled vegan, sometimes they aren't. They give us little symbols for vegan, vegetarian, containing dairy or tree nuts, but that still doesn't tell you much as far as what's actually in the food and I can't tell you how many times they slap tofu on a label and call it a day when it's a completely different item.

I've only ever had frustration with the manager of the commons, not the people working there - however I do think it's wrong that asking any staff member about the food presented, none of them know what it is. That's frustrating. Personally I think the suggestion cards on the bulletin board are all very condescending, as soon as you point out something wrong they write you an essay back about how YOU are wrong - if they respond at all.

It's just one big fucked up mess, in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah E. Wolfe
They give us little symbols for vegan, vegetarian, containing dairy or tree nuts, but that still doesn't tell you much as far as what's actually in the food and I can't tell you how many times they slap tofu on a label and call it a day when it's a completely different item.

I've only ever had frustration with the manager of the commons, not the people working there - however I do think it's wrong that asking any staff member about the food presented, none of them know what it is. That's frustrating. Personally I think the suggestion cards on the bulletin board are all very condescending, as soon as you point out something wrong they write you an essay back about how YOU are wrong - if they respond at all.

It's just one big fucked up mess, in my opinion.

I agree with you and would like to append that while they mark things as vegan (sometimes), they don't actually mark things that are explicitly vegetarian. On the explanation of the symbols, "Veggie" is defined as "contains no meat but may contain milk, eggs or other animal byproducts." When I wrote on a comment card asking what those other byproducts were, I was told a list of things that included gelatin and Worcestershire sauce, neither of which are vegetarian. They mark things as "veggie" to mean "mostly vegetarian, possibly not really." In the Commons' understanding, "vegetarians" are people who are okay with eating food containing fish oils, meat stocks and pig-bone derivatives, and their only vegetarian standard is food that doesn't contain visible, identifiable chunks of meat--not that meat in Commons dishes is usually visible or identifiable. Ditto the fucked-up mess.
Webmaster, Drew Alliance
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Squirrel

I also noticed that they didn't even bother trying to give us better food for the first two weeks. Last year at orientation I excitedly called some friends to tell them that the new Aramark was soooo good because all the food was fresh, identifiable and tasty. Within two weeks there was a decline and by Thanksgiving it was abysmal. This year we seem to have started straight off on abysmal and I've been sick more or less since I got here with stomach cramps and the like.

And then there's the Snack Bar. We have to fill out a form to get our food, neither the full menu nor most of the prices are listed AND after all that many staff members still don't seem to know how to make most of the menu items without prompting. Quite frustrating and terribly slow. All I want is wholesome and filling food with flavor and texture without having been through a deep fryer.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Ranger Cub

I think everyone on campus dislikes the food, but to say the workers need to be fired is an unfair statement. I don't think they actually cook the food, I think it's pre packaged.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi A. Jones
I think everyone on campus dislikes the food, but to say the workers need to be fired is an unfair statement. I don't think they actually cook the food, I think it's pre packaged.

I would think that judging by the lack of comments about the food here, most people actually find the food acceptable, and that the complaints here really break into two divisions. The first is in the vein of "The Commons has bad ingredient transparency/labeling policy" (something that is an actual concern to those with allergies/dietary conditions). The people complaining about the quality fit into their own group of people. I call them picky