Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Kelly M. Earls

Default C-Drive Space?

Hi -
I keep getting messages that say I'm running critically low on C-Drive space (ex: 1 MB). I have quite a bit of music, but not THAT much. What else can I delete on the C-Drive to make space available? This happened just recently, seemingly all of sudden (since I haven't downloaded any new music in a LONG time). It's so bad that I'm having trouble even saving Word documents now...Any suggestions?
- Kelly
Old 04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Justin M. Giza

Some quick fixes (though I'm sure some of the CNS folks can give you better ones!)...

Go into Start>>Program Files>>Applications>>System Tools>>Disk Cleanup. Just select ever'thing in there, and clean it on up. As you use programs, install things, uninstall things, move files around, etc, all your files on your hard drive get cluttered and wind up using more space than they need to. This will easily free up up to several gigs (at one point in time, mine freed 8 gigs. Yikes.)

Clear out your cache and whatnot in your internet browser. Most default the cache to about 50MB of storage space, but sometimes settings get tweaked, and it makes us all quirk a brow. Just look around in the main options of your browser, or under privacy settings.

If your computer is also running slowly, you can also try running disk defragmenter.
---

Again, these are just some simple fixes. If you find that you still have boatloads of trouble after this, perhaps check the add/remove programs section of the control panel. See if there's anything that looks odd (but don't remove anything you don't recognize until you do some research to see if it's important!).

Hope some of this helps. G'luck!

--Justin
Old 04-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Kelly M. Earls

Wait - There's no "Program Files" under Start...How do I get to that list you said to do? (program files, applications, system tools, disk clean up)...
Old 04-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

It's Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
Also, if you have programs installed that you don't use anymore, uninstalling them would free up considerable hard drive space (Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs). Be careful here and only uninstall programs that you installed or you know you don't need, as many things listed here are things that came with your computer and need to stay on it (e.g., ZENWorks Desktop Management Agent, NMAS client).
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Justin M. Giza

Quote:
Wait - There's no "Program Files" under Start...How do I get to that list you said to do? (program files, applications, system tools, disk clean up)...

Zach corrected me right after.

You'll have to forgive me... I pulled an all-nighter and hadn't had a lick of sleep the prior evening.