Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Camille M. Gallo

Default Obama Love-Fest

Wow. I didn't know our commencement was going to be an Obama Love Fest. Did everyone REALLY have to get that political? Save it for another time.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Elizabeth A. Young

Default I agree.

Yeah. I stopped listening when Bob started making comparisons between a human being and a university. ... I mean. It's just a little bit of a stretch, haha.

But in all seriousness, I thought all of the Obama references were made in poor taste considering it seemed that the majority of the audience sat in silence when others were clapping. One, it shows a disrespect to the audience - an audience that has paid large quantities of money over the past four years. Two, graduation day is a day to celebrate the students and all of the hard work they've done, and all that they've achieved. Frankly, I don't want to hear about a politician. I don't want to hear about anyone else other than my friends, or when I graduate, myself.

I feel bad for the kids at Notre Dame. The media is making this huge thing about Obama speaking there, and it's like the students are being overlooked. Their graduation has become about Obama, and not about them when it should be all about them and the hard work they have done for the past four years. And because I know some people will have a problem with what I just said, I'll state this now: I'm not trying to take away from Obama being the first African American President, or any of his other accomplishments. But if I want to hear about him, all I have to do is switch on MSNBC.

Last edited by Elizabeth A. Young : 05-17-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Camille M. Gallo

Agreed. And I love the one guy who talked about "serving," I thought he meant the military and then went on about the peacecorps. How could I be that stupid?
Old 05-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Elizabeth A. Young

Heh, I dunno. He also seemed to think that money's not important. I'm all for being a little idealistic, but that won't put food on the table or gas in my car.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
John Mangione

too bad you guys didn't stand up for yourselves. at least you could have bitched about pelosi!!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Elizabeth A. Young

In what way? It would've just made things worse.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Devin C. Clark

You ought to, by now, be aware that no matter what side of a political body is being professed, a percentage of people are going to disagree. I appreciated what you said about attempting to keep the graduation away from being politicized, but you turned your forum into a 'conservative hate-fest.' I think you don't want to hear about a party you don't endorse, and don't like being the odd ones out.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Elizabeth A. Young

Oh, I'm quite aware. I understand the point you're making and I appreciate you voicing your opinion as I do think it's important to have both sides for a fair discussion, but at the same time I'm going to have to correct you. I said I didn't want to hear about a politician. That means any politician. In this case, the slant is against Obama, but it would've been the same had it been anyone else. Quite frankly, I'm tired of hearing about politics, as I'm sure a lot of other people are. And the comments regarding the economy, specifically those by Mr. Stern, annoyed me as well. I'm all for helping others, but like I said, that's not going to put food on the table and gas in my car. If that's a notion considered "conservative", then so be it. I myself would simply call it being realistic. Furthermore, I also stated that the majority of the folks at graduation were not clapping, so I wouldn't consider myself being the odd one out here at all.

My main point is, which I should've just stated outright earlier, is that if Drew expects to lessen the drop in donations, then it has to know its entire audience, not just one side. I realize that most of my fellow students here at Drew are more liberal than I am, (although I think that term has been overstretched and overused). I also realize that Drew has historically been a more "liberal" school. Still, I highly doubt that such is the case with the majority of the parents and families. (I'm not even considering the Caspersan or Theological school.) If I am wrong in this, then so be it. The case still stands that it was in poor taste to bring politics up at all, regardless. Anyway, it's over and done with. I just hope I don't have to hear the same stuff next year.

Congrats to the class of 2009.

Last edited by Elizabeth A. Young : 05-18-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Camille M. Gallo

If any politician from either party was mentioned that much it would have been just as distasteful. Acknowledging the accomplishment of electing the first black president is of course perfectly fine, but over AND over again is a bit much...

One speaker said "rich men don't go to heaven"....but it's perfectly fine for Drew to take their money. I'm sure most fathers in the audience didn't like that one...that definitely can't help with donations...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Camille M. Gallo

"You ought to, by now, be aware that no matter what side of a political body is being professed, a percentage of people are going to disagree."

That's EXACTLY why politics shouldn't be brought up at a GRADUATION!!!