Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Jennifer A. Fox

Default generic host process problems

I keep getting an error message telling me that ""Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close". The computer then more or less freezes (I can switch between windows and can type in some of them, but can't save or send or do anything useful) and the only thing I can do is hold down the on/off button until it powers down and then restart it.

I can't identify a pattern in what is causing this -- sometimes it happens at start-up, sometimes after the computer has been on most of the day, in a variety of programs, sometimes when it's clearly churning and thinking and sometimes when I haven't touched the machine in several minutes.

This is a Thinkpad R40 loaner laptop from the Fac Lab running XP SP3. This computer takes more than 20 minutes to boot up (and by that I really mean more than 20 minutes, that's not a figure of speech to mean 'longer than I'd like'), so it's really frustrating because I'm not only losing stuff when it crashes in the middle of something but I'm wasting a lot of time while it boots back up.

Any suggestions? thanks!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Jennifer A. Fox

More info:

szAppName: svchost.exe
sz ApVer 5.1.2600.5512
szModName: wzcsvc.dll
szModVer: 5.1.2600.5512
offset: 0002d3ae