Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Justin M. Giza

Default Network Lag?

So is it just me, or does the network seem to be running slower than ever as of late? I'm not talking about games or whatever, I'm just talking general websites.

Took me almost three full minutes to successfully log into my bank's website today. Almost reminds me of class registration. Though this has been the worst of it, this just seems to be a running trend lately for most non-Drew sites I visit recently. Wasn't our connection UPGRADED sometime during the summer? I seem to recall getting an email sometime last year saying that it would be.

Maybe it's just my awful R40 acting up again (and please no one contest it this time... I've blown through three hard drives), but maybe not. I would find it hard to blame filesharing for the lag, seeing as it often feels like Drew's pretty much cut off anything involving the internet that's not AIM.

Anyone out there who might have an idea? Thanks!

Last edited by Justin M. Giza : 09-30-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

It's probably people like me, who try to open 53 webcomic pages in tabs at once.

every day.

And the connection upgrading would only help the pipe into drew, not the connection from the library to you. So if there are a lot of people in your dorm downloading stuff, it'll slow down your connection even if the Drew pipe can handle much more.

That being said, I've been noticing some slowdown lately also. Not that much, but some.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
And the connection upgrading would only help the pipe into drew, not the connection from the library to you. So if there are a lot of people in your dorm downloading stuff, it'll slow down your connection even if the Drew pipe can handle much more.

You've got it backwards. On-campus connectivity (between buildings) operates at gigabit per second speeds (100mbps to the desktop), which is orders of magnitude more capacity than the University's internet connection.

It should not be the case where Drew's internet connection has excess capacity but one's access to it from a dorm room is being limited by saturated on-campus links. There are some extreme situations, where we have had misbehaving (virus infected) machines saturating parts of the on-campus network, but those situations have an adverse affect on our Internet connection as well..
Old 10-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
You've got it backwards. On-campus connectivity (between buildings) operates at gigabit per second speeds (100mbps to the desktop), which is orders of magnitude more capacity than the University's internet connection.

oh...really?

I should watch Mike's speech again.