uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Matthew J. Stuart

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Yeah, there used to be various smoking floors on certain dorms, and I think Asbury was all smoking. Until June, that is. This past year we actually had a fire in one of the freshman dorms.

Yeah, I totally lived on that floor. Go Tolley 3rd....
Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Ryan J. Crowley

[quote=Dia O'Neil]did they go through with the no smoking twenty feet from a res hall or is it just no smoking in the halls? because if it's the twenty feet rule then herb circle is screwed. i dont think there's ANY place in herb where you're not ten feet from a building, let alone twenty...quote]

I think it's a 20 foot radius from the doors, but I could be wrong.

Personally I like the rule...especially living in Riker where the vents are vertical, I don't want to smell it...the promise of no smoking was the only way that my quad was finalized.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan J. Crowley
I think it's a 20 foot radius from the doors, but I could be wrong.

Personally I like the rule...especially living in Riker where the vents are vertical, I don't want to smell it...the promise of no smoking was the only way that my quad was finalized.

Actually I thought it was 30 feet, but I just went and checked and I don't see anything about having to be a certain distance away. Basically all it says is "Smoking shall be prohibited in any portion of a building used as a student dormitory that is owned and operated or otherwise utilized by a school or institution of higher education." from (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2004/Bi...00/2332_R2.HTM)

Also, I've lived in Riker the past 2 years (and though I lived in the basement, I've spent a good deal of time in other rooms) and have never smelled smoke through the vent. I also havent heard anything from the vent that wasnt coming from the room right next door. That may be just me though.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Ryan J. Crowley

Oh, okay. I'm just going off of what the man at HCH told us about the vents and smoking...some areas were non-smoking so maybe you lived in one of those, or just didn't have neighbors who smoked.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Oh, okay. I'm just going off of what the man at HCH told us about the vents and smoking...some areas were non-smoking so maybe you lived in one of those, or just didn't have neighbors who smoked.

Yeah, the vents are verticle, I've just never noticed the effects of that in my time.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

were you in a smoking room? I mean, that could explain why you never smelled any smoke.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
were you in a smoking room? I mean, that could explain why you never smelled any smoke.

To be honest I don't actually remember, but as I said, I've spent quite a lot of time in a bunch of different rooms all through out the building, I should have been able to smell or hear something if it was that bad of a problem. Or maybe I was just never in the right place at the right time.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Ryan J. Crowley

It's possible. Or maybe not a lot of people who smoked lived in Riker. *shrug*
Old 08-16-2005, 01:20 AM

Quote:
It's possible. Or maybe not a lot of people who smoked lived in Riker. *shrug*
When I was a student before Riker was renovated, it was possible to smell smoking in quads that were in the same vertical stack, more so if the room was located below you.

It's possible that this changed when Riker was renovated, as they completely replaced the HVAC system.. It could simply be that no one has really revisited the issue since then.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

That's still the way Riker is. They have the smoking rooms by vertical alignment (so if Riker 012 is smoking, so is 112, 212 and 312). At least, they did.