Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Clea J. Mahoney

Default Interesting article about FFL's background

I visited FFL's website and am still considering going to this event, but after doing some research I think it's important to address what FFL doesn't immediately say on their website: that they want to outlaw abortion.

Personally, I agree with FFL that women who WANT to have a child definitely aren't given enough resources to do so while still pursuing an education, but to me, feminism is about choice. And FFL is eliminating the choice to have that baby in the first place. From an article in the Nation:

" The problem is that FFL doesn't just oppose abortion. FFL wants abortion to be illegal. All abortions, period, including those for rape, incest, health, major fetal defects and, although Foster resisted admitting this, even some abortions most doctors would say were necessary to save the woman's life. (Although FFL is not a Catholic organization, its rejection of therapeutic abortion follows Catholic doctrine.) FFL wants doctors who perform abortions to be punished, possibly with prison terms."

And this:

"Exposing the constraints on women's choices, however, is only one side of feminism. The other is acknowledging women as moral agents, trusting women to decide what is best for themselves. For FFL there's only one right decision: Have that baby. And since women's moral judgment cannot be trusted, abortion must be outlawed, whatever the consequences for women's lives and health--for rape victims and 12-year-olds and 50-year-olds, women carrying Tay-Sachs fetuses and women at risk of heart attack or stroke, women who have all the children they can handle and women who don't want children at all. FFL argues that abortion harms women--that's why it clings to the outdated cancer claims"

The whole article can be found here: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050829/pollitt

I don't mean to strike up a fight, just wanted to put this article (and my views) out there, because I have a suspicion that whoever speaks tonight will be just as evasive as the FFL spokesperson from the article.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Meaghan E. Bratichak

ALL prohibitive laws suggest that humans have no moral compass. That has nothing to do with anti-feminism, it has to do with the nature of democratic government. Just because an anti-abortion law applies to women most directly doesn't mean it is anti-woman.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Junior Drewid

I agree with Clea, feminism is about women having choices in their lives. To restrict that is not at all in line with any of my understanding of feminism.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Meaghan E. Bratichak

homicide laws restrict choices... so do drug laws... and child abuse laws... and rape laws... are they anti-feminist?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Junior Drewid

Cool

I'd like to make it very clear that the laws within democratic states are meant for the well being of its citizens. If you are to imply that removal of a citizens right to make a decision for themselves related to personal health go right ahead but I'd like to also point out by doing so your no longer a democracy.

I'd also like to state that many of the laws which your citing such as rape laws have faced serious scrutiny over the past 2 decades across the world because they were created in such a way as to not protect all citizens and in many cases that means women. (and thus are anti-feminist, though not all are some such as drug laws specificly dealing with Salvia and other Shamanic plants are against cultural and relgious practices in some cases.)

I respect your choice to not favor abortion but if you were to remove that right from another then your saying they can't make that choice themselves and shouldn't even have the right to try. Then that in itself is not Feminism and should not be labeled inncorrectly as such.

Thanks for the response!

Last edited by Brandon W. Talley : 04-29-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Erica Durante

Default There are more pertinent things to focus on than abortion

Drew has a anti-choice group on campus?! Wow. Before there should be an anti-choice group on campus, I strongly believe that there should be a co-ed anti-rape/sexual assault/sexual harrassment group on campus. Why? Because I am sick of the fact that 1 in 6 American women are survivors of rape and sexual assault.