Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 02:24 AM
Natalie Lannan

Default refrigerators?

does anyone know how much it costs to rent a refrigerator from drew? do you think that it is more cost effective to rent one, or is buying one better in the long run?

thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:15 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Lannan
does anyone know how much it costs to rent a refrigerator from drew? do you think that it is more cost effective to rent one, or is buying one better in the long run?

thanks!

Hey, I emailed the residence life person a few days ago and this is what I got:

"There are two kinds of refrigerators, a compact refrigerator or the microwave/fridge combo. The fridge is $35 for one semester or $55 for the academic year. The micro/fridge is $115 per semester or $205 for the full academic year. For more information, you can contact Cecil Distributors, our fridge rental company at www.cecildistributorsinc.com or at (718) 267-6484 Mon-Fri 9 am to 4 pm."

and as far as buying one, the size limit specified by Drew is about 4.5 cubic feet and so far I've seen fridges that size going at about $179ish.

so there ya go.

Last edited by Amber LaCasse : 07-28-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Dia O'Neil

oh my god, buy one. you will need it for all four years at drew, and you can get a good one if you look around for about $100 i'd assume, based on what i saw/heard my freshman year [but that could have changed]. i actually got mine free [won it in a senior auction] but you'll DEFINITELY save by just buying one. NEVER rent from drew if you can avoid it. they always, ALWAYS charge you more than what's fair. i'd assume that's true for any university. it's definitely true for drew.

also, the size limit thing is negligible. my roommate's fridge last year was definitely bigger than 4.5 cubic feet, and he never got in trouble for it. i'd probably try and stick with something close to that size, though, just to be safe. also, freshman rooms are tiny

Last edited by Dia O'Neil : 07-28-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Elder Drewid

Yeah Dia has *two* fridges.

One for food and one for her....liquids.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

Not only that, but you have to relinquish the fridge during finals at the end of the year, so you're busy studying, then the company comes a-knocking and asks you to bring the fridge out to the curb. Disturbs your time studying and you don't get food for the next couple days. "Full" academic year... pshht. if you buy you can't have a microwave in your room, but they are just about everywhere. Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
oh my god, buy one. you will need it for all four years at drew, and you can get a good one if you look around for about $100 i'd assume, based on what i saw/heard my freshman year [but that could have changed]. i actually got mine free [won it in a senior auction] but you'll DEFINITELY save by just buying one. NEVER rent from drew if you can avoid it. they always, ALWAYS charge you more than what's fair. i'd assume that's true for any university. it's definitely true for drew.

also, the size limit thing is negligible. my roommate's fridge last year was definitely bigger than 4.5 cubic feet, and he never got in trouble for it. i'd probably try and stick with something close to that size, though, just to be safe. also, freshman rooms are tiny
Where'd you find a good one at only around $100?! I've only found things quite above $100...unless you're talking about the 1 cubic foot tiny ones?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber LaCasse
Where'd you find a good one at only around $100?! I've only found things quite above $100...unless you're talking about the 1 cubic foot tiny ones?

eh, i could be wrong. i just thought i remembered that price from surfing around the net. again, i didnt actually buy mine, so i didnt pay a whole lot of attention *shame* but i'll look around for you, since i'm curious myself and have way too much free time

even if it costs you $179, it's still a better deal to buy *nodnod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Tabatabaie
Yeah Dia has *two* fridges.

One for food and one for her....liquids.

hush. one was josh's, and we just didn't feel like carting one or the other back to our houses. plus, it worked out well, didn't it? *grin*
Old 07-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Yes, it is cheaper to buy one, but keep in mind that then you have to take care of moving it. Now, that may not be worth the money you'd save, or it may.

That said, I bought one. And even if you do buy one, if it's in good condition, you can sell it to someone when you graduate, and recoup some of the money spent on it.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Brittany Davis

Hey...quick question. I'm a bit confused. Everyone seems like they're saying it's better to buy a frig. but if you buy one you cant have a microwave right?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Emily Smykla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Davis
Hey...quick question. I'm a bit confused. Everyone seems like they're saying it's better to buy a frig. but if you buy one you cant have a microwave right?

Yes, that's correct; the only way you can have a microwave in your room is if you rent the combo from Drew. However, there's really no need to have a microwave in your room. Every floor has a kitchen area with a microwave for all the residents of the floor to use.