Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Ranger Cub

Default Rooms Safes/lockboxes

I'm guessing that Drew dosn't provide safes but if you buy one yourself is there any way of anchoring it to the floor or wall, otherwise anyhitng other than a 3000 lb safe would be useless.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Emily Smykla

I can't think of how this would be possible. My question is, what are you interested in using a safe for? Drew is a relatively safe campus, although of course there are the occasional reports of theft from dorm rooms. However, my advice would be just to always be very careful about making sure to lock the room when you leave (and make sure your roommate does the same). Also, there isn't much need to bring anything remarkably valuable to college with you.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Dia O'Neil

...what she said. lol.

if it's valuable enough to warrant a safe, leave it at home hidden under the floorboards.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia O'Neil
...what she said. lol.

if it's valuable enough to warrant a safe, leave it at home hidden under the floorboards.

ahh, not true. For example, I intend on bringing my manual camera to do photography, and it is quite precious in rarity, expense, and personal value.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Emily Smykla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber LaCasse
ahh, not true. For example, I intend on bringing my manual camera to do photography, and it is quite precious in rarity, expense, and personal value.

Ah, I also bring my manual camera to school, and while mine probably isn't worth as much as yours, I'd still be distraught to lose it. However, that hasn't stopped me from bringing it both years. I have never felt unsafe (myself or my belongings) at Drew, so I encourage you and the other freshmen to not worry about it too much. And as I said, just use common sense. Don't leave really nice things out in the open, lock your door when you're not on the floor. AND enjoy Tolley!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Yeah, basically, lock your doors and you'll be fine. And don't leave it sitting out in the open; put it in a drawer and you'll be even better.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 AM

Default Insurance

I'd also suggest that people make sure their parent's homeowners', renters' or other personal property insurance will cover them - it usually will - and that specific items (cameras, any computer you bring, your Drew computer) would be covered under the basic policy or if you need a rider. Make sure it isn't something that would need an appraisal - for example, and old camera might. Make sure you have the serial numbers - and not just in your dorm room. Keep a copy at home, or in a file in your network account. Home might make it easier for someone filing a claim later.

Finally, for new items (for example, a notebook computer) -- make sure you'recovered for replacement value, not depreciated.

There aren't a lot of issues, as far as I know, but generally it doesn't cost much to insure this sort of thing, even if you do need a rider for it.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Jackie DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber LaCasse

BEST ROOMMATE EVER.

I was going to bring my Nikon and my telephoto lens too but I didn't know if I should because of safety reasons!

(Your comment excited me.)

Also, maybe I'm just paranoid, but what do people do with their medications? Just leave them on their dressers? That's something I'd be tempted to lock up, but like I said, maybe I'm just paranoid.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
BEST ROOMMATE EVER.

I was going to bring my Nikon and my telephoto lens too but I didn't know if I should because of safety reasons!

(Your comment excited me.)

Also, maybe I'm just paranoid, but what do people do with their medications? Just leave them on their dressers? That's something I'd be tempted to lock up, but like I said, maybe I'm just paranoid.

OMG THAT WAS ANOTHER THING I WAS THINKING ABOUT LOCKING UP.
I'm excited that my comment excited you and that...ok well not so much that we both have medications, but the camera thing rocked.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Raquel Cedeno

i use a safe in my own house! when it comes down to it...you never know what is going to happen. but everyone is different