Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Mary Rowland

Thank God we can double space it! I had this evil history teacher who made us 1.5 space everything. The book still blows though.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Odette Habib

ok, quick question
i know that we can double space
but the font's gonna be times new roman 12pt, right?
anddd how's the heading supposed to be set up?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

For now, I think the heading can be however you did it in high school. I was never wrong doing the MLA
NAME
Prof. NAME (This is your FYS prof.)
ASSIGNMENT
DATE

Single spaced in the heading. 12 pt. TNR should work.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Dia O'Neil

and again, i can't express how much your professors REALLY WON'T CARE, so long as it's neat and doesn't consist of one word repeated for three pages [even then, you probably wouldn't get much more than made fun of a lot]. this is the only, i repeat, the ONLY paper you will write for a college course that doesn't matter. enjoy it!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Merion Read

Default finished?

who do we email it to when we're done?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Jackie DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry W. Coates
For a paper topic, I would concentrate on either a single story and talk either about how its written, or why its written. I'd either talk about the history behind it (as I am a history major) or I was feeling rather English oriented, I'd talk about themes and motifs and stuff like that. I don't have to write a paper though, however I have to discuss in in depth with several professors before all you get here though.

Wait, seriously?

I wanted to write something like my papers for AP English (the literary analyses), but I didn't know how I could do that. The thing is, though, since it's translated, I'm not sure how accurate it would be if I was like, "he chose this word because blah blah..."

So you're saying I could analyze a short chapter instead of reacting on the entire book? Because my reaction when I finished was this: "..."

ETA: If I were to write on my gut reaction, I'd feel bad sending in a negative paper, you know what I mean? I don't want to seem like Debbie Downer, haha.

Last edited by Jackie DiLorenzo : 08-09-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Ranger Cub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion Read
who do we email it to when we're done?

I do believe that we're supposed to email it to commonreading@drew.edu

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. ~ Douglas Adams

If someone wants a sheep, then that means that he exists. ~ Antoine de St. Exupery
Old 08-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
ETA: If I were to write on my gut reaction, I'd feel bad sending in a negative paper, you know what I mean? I don't want to seem like Debbie Downer, haha.

Don't ever feel bad about writing a negative paper in college. For any class, it doesn't matter what you write, as long as it's thoughtful and backed-up. So go ahead and say you thought it was a bad book, as long as the paper is more than "it...was about chemistry, and chemistry is boring."
Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Benjamin R. Shedlock

I echo Zach.

Also, if you can give a reasoned argument as to why your reaction was "..." then do it. If you guys disliked/ had as much trouble with as you say, Drew should know that. You'll also be able to express that during the discussion sections I'm pretty sure you'll be having.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Dia O'Neil

welcome to college, where when you hate something and say so eloquently enough, you'll probably find that the teacher actually agrees with you