Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Dia O'Neil

Default Linguiphiles? Calling all Linguiphiles!

Okay...I figured this would be a good place to put this post, as you are all a bunch of freshmen eager for advice and guidance *cough*manipulation*cough*. Mainly, though, because you probably haven't committed to a major or fulfilled all of your breadth requirements yet. So, have I got a deal for you!

Professor Butler [possibly one of the funniest/snarkiest women I have ever met] is teaching Ling 120 this semester. It's an upper-level linguistics course, but since none of the people taking it have ever taken linguistics before, you don't have to have any knowledge of the subject. It's a SMALL class - when I took it there were only 9 people enrolled, and this year so far there are only four. Small classes are pretty much guaranteed to be better/more fun than large classes, and a size THIS small is rare, even for Drew. It's a great chance to really participate in your education [and, you know, set your own due-dates...].

ALSO, I will be there as an "in-class tutor," so if all else fails, you can just join Prof. Butler in making fun of me. It's pretty much the secondary reason for this class even existing, I figure.

Seriously, it was one of the most fun classes I have taken at Drew. It opened my eyes to so many things. It's like sociology for the tounge [er...interesting mental image there]. You learn about the way we speak, why we speak that way, how different languages work, and how to manipulate your own language to get what you want You can learn the meanings of fun words like "morpheme" [not to be confused with "morphine"] and "agglutinating." No this is NOT a grammar class, and you do NOT need to know/learn any other languages [although it can be helpful if you so desire]. I was constantly surprised while taking this class - we do and say so many things without even realizing what we are saying. It's just...baffling how little we know about our own language, especially considering we use it pretty much all the time. It's the backbone of our very culture. A basic knowledge of linguistics can help you in so many ways, I can't even begin to scratch the surface. PLUS, you will learn how to write in phonetics, which might as well be secret code for anybody who hasn't learned it before. I have written many a scandelous note to friends using it, and no one was the wiser...

So yes. This would count as a breadth requirement of your choice [you can use linguistics as a sort of wild-card, plugging it into anything but natural sciences, which can be REALLY handy later on] and is incredibly helpful, especially for language majors. It also counts towards the anth major, so you could double-up if you want.

This has been a public service announcement. Just let me know and I can give you some dirt on the professor before class even starts. That's ALWAYS a good way to start off the year *grin*
Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Erin Carroll

Sounds interesting, especially since I never knew what linguistics were. But I already have my schedule for the fall, do you think there will be any beginner classes in the spring?
Old 08-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Dia O'Neil

probably not 120, but ling10 might be offered. you sure you cant spare some credits? cuz im telling you, this class is gonna be SWINGIN...
Old 08-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Martha Butler

Default Hey!

Who are you calling 'snarky?' And what about 'brilliant?' Would that have been so hard to mention?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Ranger Cub

Argh! I'm really interested, but I can't seem to figure out how to fit it into my schedule. I've tried everything! WHY CAN'T IT BE OFFERED NEXT SEMESTER?!?! You make me cry. Small classes with snarky teachers are my favorite kind.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Butler
Who are you calling 'snarky?' And what about 'brilliant?' Would that have been so hard to mention?

Well you obviously have not been keeping up on your Drew University slang, or else you would know that "snarky" is the new "brilliant." What kind of a linguist are you, anyway?

...and this is where the rational part of my brain says "the kind of linguist who is giving you half of your GPA, that's what kind, dopeface." I will go back to mapping Indo-European word descent charts now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Glickman
I don't think Drew will let you register for a class as a freshman over 99 though... I tried with a psych class that I've already fulfilled the prereq for...

That's probably true, but if it's a default or something, things can be tweaked. Oh, can they ever be tweaked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber LaCasse
Argh! I'm really interested, but I can't seem to figure out how to fit it into my schedule. I've tried everything! WHY CAN'T IT BE OFFERED NEXT SEMESTER?!?! You make me cry. Small classes with snarky teachers are my favorite kind.

So here's where you say to yourself, hmm, now do I want to take this class more than one of these other classes I am taking? Or: are some of my classes offered every year/semester? Or: is anything really cooler than linguistics?

Last edited by Dia O'Neil : 08-15-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Erin Carroll

Haha, Dia you are very good at persuading people to do things. You make everything sound so good, it's hard to pass up things like linguistic classes & womyn's concern (which i cannot wait to join). Your email was very informative on the club, much thanks.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Ranger Cub

just as an option to consider in my attempts at fitting this class into my schedule...is auditing the class an option? Or will I have to pay extra tuition (I think I remember reading something somewhere about taking more than 20 credits requires extra moolah, but idk if that applies to auditing)?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:26 AM
Squirrel

Wink

Hey, yeah I am actually taking one of the recomended freshman classes for linguistics... going to be a minor... really looking foward to it!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Dia O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Carroll
Haha, Dia you are very good at persuading people to do things. You make everything sound so good, it's hard to pass up things like linguistic classes & womyn's concern (which i cannot wait to join). Your email was very informative on the club, much thanks.

it's because i am a linguistics student. you may not realize it, but i have very carefully chosen the exact words that i KNEW would affect your subconscious so that you would want to join the club and take the class.

NOW WOULDN'T YOU ALL LIKE TO LEARN HOW I DID IT? LING120!