Here is how to get your Drew GroupWise account (email only) working with an iPhone running the 2.0 software. All 3G iPhones and upgraded original iPhones should have the 2.0 software.
Since the iPhone 2.0 software makes it easy to take screenshots, I've updated these instructions with illustrations.
If you're not running the 2.0 software on your phone, I recommend using iTunes to update (it's free!). The setup is a bit smoother with the 2.0 software.
The standard disclaimer applies. Drew University does not support the iPhone or any other cell-phone/PDA with our GroupWise system except BlackBerry.
If you are a faculty/staff person looking for mobile solutions, please look at our mobile page here
for more information about BlackBerry. If you have a Palm or Windows Mobile device you'd like to use, check out the GroupWise Mobile Server
and here's the setup:
- From the iPhone's home screen, tap the settings icon.
- Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select Add Account.
- Tap Other.
- Enter your full name, Drew email address, uLogin password, and provide a name for this email account. I recommend using something that identifies this account as your Drew University email account. In the examples that follow, I use Drew GroupWise as the account name. Touch Save when done.
- Afer a brief delay, an account details form like the one displayed below will appear. Be sure to leave IMAP selected as the account type.
- On the form which is displayed, scroll down to the Incoming Mail Server section and enter gwimap.drew.edu for the Host Name and your uLogin ID for the User Name. The Password field should already be filled in with the value you entered on previous form.
- Scroll down the form to the Outgoing Mail Server section. Enter gwsmtp.drew.edu for the Host Name. Once again, enter your uLogin ID and password into the User Name and Password fields. Touch Save when you are done.
- After a brief delay, you will receive a message indicating that the iPhone does not recognize Drew's SSL certificates. You can select Continue. The iPhone warning message is poorly worded, as your connection will still be protected by SSL and your mail session securely encrypted after touching Continue.
- After tapping continue, you will be returned to the Mail settings screen. You must make a few more modifications to the account you have created in order to be able to send outgong mail and for the iPhone to interact properly with your GroupWise Sent Items and Trash folders. Tap the Drew GroupWise account you have just created in order to access these additional settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the form which has just appeared. Access the outgoing mail server settings by tapping on SMTP - gwsmtp.drew.edu as depicted below.
- Tap the Primary Server gwsmtp.drew.edu to access its settings.
- Verify the information displayed. Your uLogin ID and password should be filled in and the Host Name should be set to gwsmtp.drew.edu. SSL should be On and the authentication mode should be set to Password.
It will be necessary to change the Server Port setting to 2525 in order to send outgoing mail sucessfully.
Once you have changed the server port number and verified the other settings, tap the back button in the upper left corner of the screen twice to return to the Drew GroupWise account settings page.
- From the bottom of the Drew GroupWise account settings page, tap Advanced.
- If you would like the iPhone to use your standard GroupWise Trash and Sent Items folders, under Mailbox Behaviors change the location of the Sent folder to your GroupWise Sent Items folder and the location of the Trash folder to your GroupWise Trash folder.
- Setup is now complete. Tap the Mail icon from your iPhone's home screen to access your GroupWise email.