Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Katy E. Fitzpatrick

Default Forwarding all old groupwise items

I graduated this last May and am still working on switiching to a new email account. I successfully set up a rule to forward all my new email items, but I have hundreds of old messages in my Drew account that I would also like to forward over to my new address. I can't figure out how to do this en masse and would rather not spend hours forwarding each one individually. I did not do the latest groupwise update and only have access to my Drew email via webaccess, if that makes a difference. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Daniel M. Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy E. Fitzpatrick
I graduated this last May and am still working on switiching to a new email account. I successfully set up a rule to forward all my new email items, but I have hundreds of old messages in my Drew account that I would also like to forward over to my new address. I can't figure out how to do this en masse and would rather not spend hours forwarding each one individually. I did not do the latest groupwise update and only have access to my Drew email via webaccess, if that makes a difference. Thank you!

What mail program do you use to check messages at your new address? I'd think if you used a client that supported IMAP, you could log into the Drew server with that, then either make a local copy of the messages, or even drag them into your new mailbox (if you new account supports IMAP)...

Just thinking as I type; this isn't a technical answer.

Peace,
Daniel Lawson
Assistant Professor of Economics
Drew University
Old 09-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Robin E. Markle

hey, i need to do this too, before my drew e-mail address gets deleted (which i think is soon? i graduated this past may 08).

i now use gmail as my primary e-mail address. could someone please tell me how to transfer my old e-mails? i would appreciate it if you could use really simple language, i don't know a lot about computers.

thanks!
robin
Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Transferring to gmail

Gmail supports IMAP. I'd look at their instructions for enabling it, download Thunderbird and set it up to talk to your Gmail account. Once that's working, set up your Drew account using the settings on this web page. You can then drag and drop messages from one to the other. Once you've copied stuff over, you can continue to use the gmail web interface.

IMAP support with Gmail is a little odd, since they never really intended for Gmail to have a "folder" metaphor, but it does work. There's more on the gmail info page about it. I'd also make a copies of your mail in "local mail" folders in Thunderbird on the PC you're using, since Google doesn't back up Gmail (at least, that's the disclaimer), and mail (or entire mailboxes) have been lost before.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy E. Fitzpatrick
I can't figure out how to do this en masse and would rather not spend hours forwarding each one individually.

If you're using something other than Gmail (since you didn't say), find out if it supports IMAP. If it does, get Thunderbird and basically follow the same procedure.

If it doesn't, that's more difficult. I wouldn't forward them, you lose the mail header info, basically. I'd still install Thunderbird, set it up for your Drew account, and copy everything to local mail folders on the computer you're using. It gets put in your user profile folder (assuming Windows XP), and it's pretty easy to find it and move it to another computer later. And since Thunderbird uses a really standard message file format, almost anything can read it.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:18 PM

If you do not have an account that supports IMAP and just want to copy your GW messages to your local computer, you can enable caching in GroupWise to create a local copy of your mailbox. Here is what CNS staff recommend:

Q: What's the easiest way to save my old Drew email after I graduate?

A: Use GroupWise caching mode.

Caching mode is normally used when you are working on a notebook and want quick access to your email even when using a slower internet connection. What caching mode normally does is makes a complete copy of your mailbox on the local hard drive and then periodically synchronizes with your GroupWise online mailbox. If the GroupWise client in caching mode can't connect to your Online mailbox (say, if you have no network connection), then it will still let you work with the local copy of your mail.

You can take advantage of the latter fact to essentially make your email portable. A graduating student can set up GroupWise Caching mode on their laptop. Caching mode will work and continue to sync with their online mailbox until the account goes away in the Fall. When the user's account goes away, GW will complain that it can't sync with the online mailbox anymore but will still aloow the user to access the copy of their mail in the caching mailbox on their hard drive.

If a user is going to do this, they should tkae note of the location of their caching mailbox. It's usually in a folder under C:\Novell\GroupWise with a name of gwtr*** (where *** is a unique File ID for each user). Once the user is in caching mode, they can find the locaiton of their mailbox by going to Tools > Options > Environment and looking on the File Locations tab. If they want to make a backup of their caching mailbox, this is the folder they need to make a copy of.

If they want to move the caching mailbox to another computer, they would just copy over the contents of this folder to the other machine and install a GW client (which they can download from the CNS site or Novell's site) on the other machine. When startin the GW client, click Cancel if you just get a password prompt instead of the dialog with all of the login options. Enter the username and password of the caching mailbox, select Caching, and point it at the folder containing the caching mailbox.

Q: Once the user's account goes away, is there any way to get the GW client to stop complaining that it can't talk to the online maibox when the user just wants to look at old cached mail?

A: Yes, go to Accounts > Account Options and uncheck the GW account for automatic send/receive of new messages.