Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Jessica N. Janusee

Default Vista

I'm a Drew senior who would like to update my Drew IBM laptop to Vista.
Can CNS do that for me?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Hmmm.

We don't have a Vista configuration for the senior computers at this time. We could probably sell you Vista home use media and you could install it, but it wouldn't be supported.

I wouldn't recommend Vista on a computer with less than 2GB of RAM. We were probably only going to do a Vista configuration for the T61 which has 2GB of RAM. Again, computers much older than that, especially with less than 2GB of RAM, will not have great Vista performance.

Vista is on the new computers, and runs well there.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM
J. W. Pratt

Isnt it time that Drew upgrade its computers and technology to Vista software. XP is an endangered species that is almost extinct - it will not be supported by Microsoft in the near future. C'mon Drew - get with the "program" and bring us into the 21st century.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:21 PM

I appreciate your point, but Windows XP is still fully supported by Microsoft and is still used extensively by corporate and academic users. We had several first-year students state their preference for XP when we handed them their new computers (and will be rolling out an XP configuration for the T400s as soon as we put it together.)

We did roll out Vista to the Class of 2012, and will probably roll it out to other computers as time permits. If there's enough interest we can sell Vista for the cost of media to students under our Microsoft license, but we will only support Vista on configurations we've created.

Personally, I think Vista's just fine, but there's very little new stuff that requires it, all the Windows software available still runs in XP as well. It looks nicer, that is true. There may be a larger story for Windows 7 in 2 years or so, but of course everyone was saying there'd be features in Vista that didn't make it.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. W. Pratt
Isnt it time that Drew upgrade its computers and technology to Vista software. XP is an endangered species that is almost extinct - it will not be supported by Microsoft in the near future. C'mon Drew - get with the "program" and bring us into the 21st century.

Actually, Windows XP Professional will be supported by Microsoft (patches, etc) at the SP3 level through sometime in 2014. I forget the exact date, but it doesn't much matter. We won't be running it by then. But it's not like they're dropping it tomorrow. Most corporations have barely touched Vista, and Microsoft can't afford to alienate that group of customers.

There's not much benefit to using Vista on hardware that's much more than a year old. It's going to run more slowly on most older systems, and it's not like there are any Vista-only applications to speak of. In fact, software companies are still getting a handle on how to write applications for Vista. I wouldn't expect to see Vista in the computer labs until there's a functional reason to do it - for example, 64-bit support for software like Photoshop (not delivered until the upcoming CS4 version) or some other application-driven reason. Also, since a lot of people still aren't as familar with it, but most users have seen Windows XP, throwing Vista on public computers probably wouldn't get us a lot of "thank you" comments from customers at this point in time.

Microsoft is providing IE 8 for XP, Office 2007 and the next version (supposidly out next year) will work under XP as well. I'd expect to see Vista get phased in on University-owned computers over time as they are replaced. There's been some talk about providing a T61 Vista image, but older computers likely wouldn't work as well.