Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Technology Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Young Squirrel

Default Internet trouble

When I connect to the Drew network, whether by wireless or by ethernet cable, pages sometimes just don't load. In fact, they often do not. Every time I try to go to a new web address, it often takes five minutes of refreshing.

The first suspect was my wireless, but then I found that the internet at my home and other places work just fine. Then I thought it was the wireless network, but then I learned that the situation did not change when I used an ethernet cable instead.

So, all I can figure is that the network does not like me, and me in particular, because my friends don't seem to have ever encountered this problem. It is only with my computer, and only with the Drew network, so the problem must be with both of them.

Could I get some help? Using the internet has become a terrible chore.

PS- By the way, Windows can't diagnose the problem, just to let you know I tried.

Last edited by Jonathan K. MacDuffie : 03-18-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Squirrel

There may be a number of things contributing to your slow internet. I'd recommend that you contact the CNS Helpdesk at x3205, or come down to the Helpdesk in the basement of Brother's College with your laptop, power cord, and bag. I, or any other CNS will then be able to walk you through a number of diagnostic steps to determine what the issue is.

Our hours are:
M-Thurs 9AM-5PM, 6PM-11PM
Friday 9AM-5PM
Saturday 1PM-5PM
Sunday 6PM-11PM
Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Ranger Cub

Exclamation Laptop Defaulting to Wireless/ Filesharing Programs

Jonathan, are you turning your wireless switch off when you are connecting with an Ethernet cable?

Some of the newer laptops (Fall 2008 and Fall 2009) default to wireless even when you are plugged in with an Ethernet cable unless you turn off the wireless switch on the front of your laptop. You are likely getting better results at home because you are not sharing wireless access with nearly as many people, especially if your router at home is secure (as it should be).

Any time you compete with a lot of people on a wireless network, it's likely that you will be kicked off - there is a set amount of bandwidth, and the system will shut out users when it is heavily taxed.

An Ethernet connection is always more reliable and faster. Try turning off your wireless switch and plugging in, then restart your computer. Let us know your results.

Another possible culprit: Filesharing programs like LimeWire, FrostWire, eDonkey, etc. If you're using any of these, not only do they conflict with the Novel software that runs your network access, but it's also likely that you've contracted more than one virus, further affecting your computer's performance. Uninstall any filesharing programs you may have running and don't reinstall them. If this is the cause of your issue, you will have persistent problems until you get rid of the program(s).

If you have other questions, see the folks at the CNS Helpdesk or please contact us in the Student Technology Education Lab at x3003 or via email at (its@drew.edu).

Last edited by Krista White : 03-19-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: needed to add information
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Ranger Cub

As Krista mentioned, make sure to turn off your wireless switch when trying the ethernet cord because your computer should favor the faster, and stronger, connection but it doesn't always work.

Another problem might be the fact that your wireless card is automatically connecting to the Drew1x wireless network which is a reserved network and is usually not be reliable to the general Drew population. The most reliable wireless network is simply the drew one.

But like Paul suggested, the best way to solve the problem is to call the Helpdesk, or better yet come down to the Helpdesk with your computer.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Squirrel

Default *Clarification

If you are running a p2p or torrent software uninstalling Novell software will NOT speed up your internet! If you are a student currently at Drew please keep the software on your computer, it's needed to access a number of network functions.