Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > Student Forums > CLA Students > Current CLA students
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Norma E. Hobbs

Default surge protectors a must?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew the number of outlets in the Holloway dorms...I suppose people will have about three items or so to plug in and I wasn't sure if a surge protector was necessary. Thanks for your help. Norma
Old 08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Christopher J. Carpenter

If you're bringing along a desktop computer- that's two outlets right there (CPU + Monitor)... add in a desk lamp and a stereo thats two more... oh and then there's the appliances and electric devices that your roommate brings along.

Surge protectors aren't a "must" but considering they're not a big deal at all to get, why not bring them along?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Dia O'Neil

uhhhyeah...you're gonna want one. the plugs are in really inconvenient spots and extension cords are illegal. plus, you will DEFINTELY have more than three things...between my computer, printer, lamp, fan, tv, ps2, fridge, and my roomie's stuff, i actually had to alternate plugs because i didn't have enough. be safe - bring two. they're cheap and you won't regret it.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Zachary C. Kanfer

Also, you NEVER want to plug a computer or monitor into the wall. a $10 power strip is cheap to protect your computer, television, fridge, ps2/xbox, whatever you've got. bring two, at least. Try to get ones with longer cords that aren't extension cords (those aren't allowed).
Old 08-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
Also, you NEVER want to plug a computer or monitor into the wall. a $10 power strip is cheap to protect your computer, television, fridge, ps2/xbox, whatever you've got. bring two, at least. Try to get ones with longer cords that aren't extension cords (those aren't allowed).
Good point.

I personally have 3-4, simply because the outlets arent in very good locations and it would be really annoying to swap things in and out from the wall locations. Figure with comp/tv/dvd player/AV port switcher/cell phone charger you have a bunch right there. Then there are the essentials, the comp speakers/USB hub/External HD/Ipod charger....

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 08-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wnorowski
Would a 6 outlet, 4-foot long cord be good enough for a surge protector or should i get a different one.

It all depends on how much stuff you have to plug in. You should probably been fine with that. The biggest/longest I have is 8 outlets with a 6 foot cord, but most people don't need that much.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

It couldn't hurt to bring two, because you might not set up your tv and fridge by your computer and clock.

or trust your roomate. or something.