Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Gripes
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Squirrel

The ups and downs in all of this enabled us to gain a better understanding of how the packet shaper operates & where adjustments needed to be made. These devices have to be tuned to the specific networks they're handling, and they don't always work in the most logical way. I'm glad for all the feedback.

As much as I might think so, I'd never go and say "we fixed it" without confirming it to be true. The last post I made was around the break and students weren't around, so there wasn't any way to tell for sure. Some more improvements were made last week. So many changes and fixes were made I don't think it's any single one that has made the difference.

At this point I'd say that it's much better. There is as always a limit on how much we can really do with the bandwidth we currently have, and there are times where games will be lagged or streaming media won't stream, just because there's only so much to go around. Like I said though I think we've made a lot of progress in optimizing the connection speed as a whole and especially for interactive applications. Where there's a way we'll continue working on it to provide the best experience to Drew users.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Axel Larsson
Find out who the student rep is on the Expense and Allocation Committee and ask them to support University Technology's budget request for additional internet bandwidth.

Just to update everyone on this, from the information that has been presented to the committee it seems likely that the campus will be getting a significant bandwidth increase next year, and perhaps even some extra bandwidth as soon as next semester.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Zachary C. Kanfer

yay bandwith! Good job, Gary. Hopefully some bandwith will come next semester, but that's great that we'll be getting a lot more next year.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary A. Hochman
Just to update everyone on this, from the information that has been presented to the committee it seems likely that the campus will be getting a significant bandwidth increase next year, and perhaps even some extra bandwidth as soon as next semester.
Thanks for the update

"I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Gary A. Hochman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary C. Kanfer
yay bandwith! Good job, Gary. Hopefully some bandwith will come next semester, but that's great that we'll be getting a lot more next year.

Don't thank me, thank whoever it was in the Technology department that did their homework on fiber rates.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Noah C. Rosenfield

yay. honestly, even if the situation stayed the way it is now i'd be happy. i haven't had a bit of trouble since all the new modifications have been put in place.

of course limewire doesn't work, but that's just due to the p2p restrictions which are rather necessary. so i don't mind.

especially since it seems likely that the p2p restrictions are partly what is keeping bandwidth usage down enough that i can have nearly lag free halo. and i'm definitely willing to trade limewire for halo anyday.

so in conclusion, go tech department! w00t!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Squirrel

We are pretty happy with how the network is running right now. The changes we made, including disabling peer to peer filesharing, seem to have had a very positive effect.
Peer to peer programs seem to be the major culprit in what was causing the problems that we were all seeing. We were limiting peer to peer and thought that would be sufficent, but many peer to peer applications are rather insistent and connection intensive, and will send a large amount of connection attempts. The traffic shaping tool was receiving all of these attempts, categorizing them, trying to fairly distribute all of the peer to peer connection attempts into the available peer to peer bandwidth, dropping the extra attempts (which would then typically get retried by the client program), and letting the set amount through. It was basically getting bogged down trying to accomplish this. Currently, it recognizes a peer to peer connection and drops it, which is a much easier process that, as you have noted, makes everything better. Disabling peer to peer was a difficult decision to make. We do recognize that there are legitimate uses of peer to peer filesharing and that it is a frequently employed use of the network.

While we are pleased with the improvement in network connectivity that people have experienced, we are moving forward with plans for further improvement. These plans include bandwidth increases, as Gary noted, fine-tuning the settings on our network equipment, and being responsive to the feedback from users.

Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah C. Rosenfield
of course limewire doesn't work, but that's just due to the p2p restrictions which are rather necessary. so i don't mind.

especially since it seems likely that the p2p restrictions are partly what is keeping bandwidth usage down enough that i can have nearly lag free halo. and i'm definitely willing to trade limewire for halo anyday.

so in conclusion, go tech department! w00t!