Drew Community  

Go Back   Drew Community > General Forums > Announcements & General Discussion
uLogin ID  
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM

I found http://www.drewdining.com/ which seems to be Sodexho's website about the dining services.

If there's something you liked and it's not there (especially at the Snack Bar), it's probably worth asking one of the managers. If they can get it I'd think they'd want to, since they can sell it for money, and they know that at least one customer wants it.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Kevin Domanski

In general I have found the quality of the commons much better compared to the previous years. However I am severely dissapointed with the snack bar. They often don't have many of the ingrediants to make their menu items and I found myself listing things I want until they finally tell me they are able to make that. Don't forget the night that they closed an hour early because they simply ran out of food. In addition, the serving sizes are laughable. I had ordered a buffalo chicken wrap and received about 4 pieces of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and about 2 and a half little slices of chicken - all of this costing me just under 5 bucks.

I hope the snack bar is just experiencing a few kinks seeing as it is still the start of the new year - but the way it stands now I will be eating in the commons much more often.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Lauren L. Franko

Watch out at the snack bar, the cashiers have been charging students the 7% sales tax. This sales tax is only supposed to be charged to faculty and staff. So WATCH your total!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Young Squirrel

I'm a grad student so I'm not on the meal plan, but I like to "treat" myself every now & then, esp. at busy times. I'm very disappointed in the new food service.

The Commons has fewer choices than before and less appetizing choices (both look & taste). The prices went up. The signs are hung so low I keep hitting myself in the head. The dishes & silverware are no cleaner than they used to be. Etc.

The snack bar still never has a clean table. The prices went up. I keep getting charged tax too (all summer, in fact) -- granted I look older than an undergrad, but I'm wearing a backpack & paying on my Drew debit card, so you'd think I looked like a student! The premade salads have soggy croutons & the salad bar is too expensive. There's not much in the way of combos there either in order to save a little money, & there was even less over the summer. Why does a combo always mean fries or chips & a soda? How about a side salad and juice or milk? Etc.

Even the soda vending machine prices went up.

And speaking of summer, as well as weekends, grad students are pretty much here 24/7/365 & we need to eat too! What's with closing at 2 in the summer when the library is open till 9? What's with not opening till 2 on weekends as if we don't want any lunch?

I won't say that there's nothing good that they retained (like Pepsi products) or implemented (like panini in the snack bar -- though I'd like a chicken one too, so I haven't tasted one yet), but overall I'm NOT impressed & will "eat out" a lot less than I used to under Aramark unless I see improvements.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Meaghan E. Bratichak

... bottom line, the food is repulsive. running out of ice and bread is absolutely unacceptable, the prices are ridiculous, and choices are fewer than ever.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Junior Drewid

Somebody explain the tax thing to me.

Why doesn't Sodexho have to charge tax to students?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Amanda L. Brennan

On a much happier note, the caprese sandwich in the snack bar is SOOOO good. Probably some of the best campus food I've ever eaten.

and vitamin water is back. +5.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:29 PM
Jackie DiLorenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. Muccigrosso
Somebody explain the tax thing to me.

Why doesn't Sodexho have to charge tax to students?

I don't know, but they're doing it anyway. I asked the cashier why my total for a chicken cheesesteak was more expensive than what was listed on the hanging menu, and she told me it was what her list said. I wasn't going to argue, but someone is automatically integrating the tax into everyone's totals.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Junior Drewid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie DiLorenzo
I don't know, but they're doing it anyway. I asked the cashier why my total for a chicken cheesesteak was more expensive than what was listed on the hanging menu, and she told me it was what her list said. I wasn't going to argue, but someone is automatically integrating the tax into everyone's totals.
You mis-read my question.

Why doesn't Sodexho have to charge tax? We pay tax on prepared food in NJ, so why should students eating at U-located dining places be exempt? You pay tax on items at the bookstore, no?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 AM
Lauren L. Franko

I would imagine (this is just a guess) that students are exempt from the food tax because prepared food is the only thing offered to us. We must have a meal plan, and that is basically our main way to get food. Prepared food in NJ has a sales tax because it isn't required a necessity. However, for Drew Students it is a necessity. Perhaps that is why we are exempt?